Don't Be a Dick

Chapter Song: Wicked Game, Chris Isaak

The next morning we were all gathered at the front of the gate, posing for a picture that Painter was drawing to document. I had eventually, in my long night of groveling, decided to push my anger towards Curtis aside and focus on our main mission. Killing Wilford. Since we had Mason with us, it would be easier and faster making our way to the front. Hopefully we wouldn't be disrupted by any more soldiers and gunfire.

"Ok, let's all get in there. Squeeze in." Painter instructed us, scribbling on his drawing board with a piece of charcoal. I stepped up in between Curtis and Andrew, ignoring the former's concerned gaze. Andrew, whilst giggling like a mad man, took his dirty shoe off and balanced it on Mason's head. Thus, giving her a taste of her own medicine.

"Perfect, perfect. The hat becomes you well." Painter said in amusement while everyone had a hearty chuckle. I didn't laugh with them though. My mind was only focused on what was ahead of us. There was no room to be funny or silly anymore. There never was in the first place.

"Oops, forgot somebody. Ok." Painter added as Grey stepped forward and took his place beside Curtis. I looked over at him and gave a small nod and a smile of approval. He would be beneficial to our mission. He was our secret weapon after all. After a few moments, Nam had finally gotten ahold of the wires in the gate's paneling and was working on opening the door.

"Kronole." Yona said, right as the gate started to groan, predicting that it would soon open. Curtis handed her two lumps of the chemical and we all got ready. I had tensed up waiting for the gate to open, expecting another dank and cold train compartment. But, when the doors slowly slid open, we were greeted with soft melodic music and the brightest train car we've seen thus far.

Medium sized trees were scattered about in pots, containing fruit that I haven't seen in almost twenty years. Vibrant green vines and other plants were hanging from the rafters. Workers were harvesting or planting new seeds in plastic or wooden boxes of soil, there had to be at least dozens of them lined on tables and shelves. A small fountain was set right after the gate and a woman was sitting in a chair next to it, knitting some brilliantly white garment.

As we walked forward, I stopped for a moment to scrub my hands clean of Edgar's blood in the fountain. I didn't truly feel clean, but it was a start. Tanya and Andrew had started to pick fruits and vegetables off of the various plants. I followed along and stuffed what looked like a tomato into my mouth. I hadn't eaten fresh fruit and vegetables in a long time, but I didn't choose to savor it.

I was starving, a lot more than usual, because I hadn't eaten a protein block in almost two days. After having my fill, I caught up to Curtis and Mason. The workers were giving her strange looks. Why wouldn't they? She was chained up and Curtis was carrying the leash.

"Don't mine me, back to work, everyone. Back to work." She ordered, brushing off their questioning stares.

"Please, don't eat it. Don't eat it." One of the female workers said to Tanya, who was carrying a heaping handful of food.

"No, no. They're very friendly. They won't bite. Well, they might bite a tomato but..." Mason said, calling off the workers attempts to stop us. Like that would even work. Nam and Yona were trailing behind, conversing in their own language. Nam was showing Yona some dirt and she looked at it in wonder. It made me slightly jealous that she still had her father, while mine was somewhere in the front section.

As we moved forward, we entered what could only be described as a dream world. The walls and ceiling of the next car were glass, and a multitude of various fish were swimming about in the clear water. The ceiling arched over head and I stared in amazement at the sea life that was inside the enormous fish tank.