Carlos sat back down. "I'm still on prob­ation. Haven't talked to anyone." 

I nodded. "Okay, thanks. Sorry."

I didn't stay at the library for very long. Guilt gnawed in my stomach all morning. I should have been more tactful. I didn't have much time to think about it though. Classes kept me busy.

 I ate lunch with Sandra and the girls before I met Joseph afterwa­rd. He was parked right outside the door. I quickly braved the chilly and slid into the car as quickly as I could. Thankfully, the heat was turned up high.

"Morning," he said cheerfully. "Or afternoon." His face turned red. "Ready to go?"

"Yeah, let's go. Violet sent you the address?" 

"Sure thing." 

The office I would be working out of was on the outskirts of the city. It was a business area with small shops and cafes. The office was one of many helping the main headquarters with the bidding event. I wasn't sure what I'd be doing but as long as it was helpful, I wouldn't mind.

Fifteen minutes later we pulled up to the building. I wiped my hands on my pants and stepped out of the car.

"I'll be back to pick you up later," he said. "Good luck."

"Thanks."

I grabbed my backpack and headed into the building. It was a three-story building with the Royal crest store. No other name was needed. I entered through the glass doors - they parted as I drew near. 

A blast of cold air hit me as I walked in. I shivered. 

Two reception desks greeted me inside. One on either side. there both occupied by a man and a woman. A little sitting area was just beyond and the wall behind it water running down it.

 "Can I help you?" one of the receptionists asked.

I walked up to him. "Hello, I'm Rin Borek and- "

"Oh, so it's you," he said.

 I frowned. "What?" 

He smiled. "We received word you were arriving. I'm Jesse, by the way." 

"Right." 

He cleared his throat. "Well, let me take you on the grand tour and get you where you belong."  He stepped out from behind the desk. 

One look at his clothes made me feel underdressed. He wore a suit. Maybe I should have brought extra clothes to change into.

Jesse clapped his hands. "So, do you know what we do here?" 

My mind went blank. No one had told me what I would be doing and I'd been so occupied with the assassins that I hadn't bothered to ask. Jesse must have seen the look on my face because his expression soured for a moment. Then just as quickly, the smile was back.

"We're a printing company," he stated. 

"So, you're handling the advertisement and catalog for the bidding event," I said.

"Uh, yeah, actually," he said. He cleared his throat. "Right this way." 

We walked behind the water wall founta­in and came to an elevator. 

"On this floor we hold consultations," Jesse began. "But we won't bother them." 

The elevator opened immediately when Jesse called for it. 

"There are three floors in total but many departments," he said, stepping inside. 

I followed him. 

"Third floor is the printing press and editing but we won't bother them. They're swa­mped."

 He pressed the button to the second floor. "This is where finance and design de­partments mostly reside."

 The doors opened and we stepped out of the elevator. Cubicles greeted us. I expected Jesse to explain which department we were in but instead, he turned to the right and kept walking. We pass­ed many offices on either side.

"You'll be helping with management," Jesse said.

We came to a stop at the end of the hallway. "This is you." From his coat, he took out a key card and opened the door.

There were filing cabinets along the walls. Opened and unopened boxes were stacked all on the floor. There was barely any space to walk.

"Lots of files need to be put back and organized," he said. "Your NDA is on file so keep that in mind. Good luck."

He gave me the card and left. I look­ed at the room and the empty hallway. Were they just putting me out of sight?

 Frowning, I walked into the room and put my backpack down. No, Violet wouldn't do that. I mean, this was being helpful in a way. Yeah.

 I looked around the room again and took a deep breath. Maybe if I proved myself here. I could do so­mething else later.

Yeah. 

That was it.

I hoped.