Chapter 5: Baby Girl

•:•.•:•.•:•:•:•:•:•:•:•☾🥀☽•:•.•:•.•:•:•:•:•:•:•:•

Whistler's POV

It took about a week or so before we trusted the kid, who we now know is Camila Frost, enough to let her out. She's still processing what she finally learned earlier. I've tried what I can to help her, but depression has taken hold. Obviously, it'll take time for her to return to any form of normalcy.

Blade and I have also found out some interesting things about Camila. I was right: her mother was human—well, sorta. We believe, according to her and what she's been told, Frost might've bitten her while... well, as she put it, a heat of the moment type thing. She never truly changed though. From what we can tell, she became like Camila is now except likely not as strong. We ran a blood test on our mysterious friend and got a little bit of help with understanding what she is. It appears that her body is able to have a resistance to the vampire virus. Like Blade, she has their abilities without their weaknesses. The big difference: She doesn't need blood. Apparently, she learned this when her dad left her with Quinn one day, and the idiot forgot to feed it to her. It had a minimal effect.

Granted, other differences exist. Though she doesn't require blood, our hypothesis is that it would likely amplify her. Due to her not consuming blood as well as other factors involved in why she is the way she is, her metabolism is fast in order to keep up with energy requirements. This means she is hungry and eats a lot. Hence why she's now eating us out of house and home. Camila also isn't quite as strong or fast as your typical vampire, though it's just enough to be noticeable. She can still put up a good fight. Her fangs are also a bit strange. They don't extend. Sure, her teeth are sharp and all, but they won't extend to the same length as a vampire's can. As I told Blade, "If she bit somebody, it'd hurt like all heck, but it's no vampire bite."

Outside of her odd powers, we've learned other things about our dear Miss Frost. She's 13. Blade actually nabbed the poor kid on her birthday. The vampire language is her first language with English being her second language—though she can speak both without a hitch. She is also an excellent fighter—especially with a sword.

Other than that, we've learned she's sharp as a tack and amazingly clever. She likes to wear a fair amount of grey since it matches her eyes—the eyes that she got from her father. Of course, the only other color I seem to see her wear is black. She is quite sarcastic and witty. Overall, she's a trip.

Having her here reminds me of when I actually had a family. I can't help but remember my own daughters. Hearing about her sweet relationship with her dad, I can't help but miss them.

Our next step will be dealing with the repercussions of kidnapping Camila. Frost is furious—and that's an understatement. We've seen more attacks in the past week than we have in the last month. He's waging war. The king wants his princess back.

Frost's POV

I'm gonna find you, baby. I'm gonna find you.

I look down at the picture in my hand. Everly is sitting beside me as Camila is curled up in my lap. I swear I can almost hear her heart-warming laugh just looking at her face. She was three years old. Everly lived for three more weeks after this was taken. Quinn actually took it while playing around with a camera. It was actually taken on the couch just across the room. Who would've ever thought I'd be in a picture that looks like your typical family picture?

It's been a week and a half that she's been missing. That's how long I've been without my baby girl. It's like she fell off the face of the planet. Nobody seems to have any information on where she is. There hasn't been anything whatsoever that's turned up.

Everything here has felt so empty. Her disappearance left a hole that won't ever be filled until we get her back. I miss waking her up in the morning—seeing her grey eyes flutter open as she awakens. I miss hearing her precious voice call me "dad." I miss hearing about whatever adventures—and sometimes even trouble—she got herself into during the day. Heck, I even miss the chaos she often brought to the house.

"Do we have anything, Quinn?" I ask, knowing exactly how weak my voice sounds.

"No man," he replies with a dejected voice. "Still nothing."

Everyone in this room seems to be crushed. Most of the vampires that I've known seemed to love Camila. She had a caring nature and yet was a complete spitfire all at the same time. Now, she's been taken—no, stolen—from all of us.

"We're gonna find her," I say. "We have to."

"Absolutely man. We're gonna get her back."

I look across the room. Seeing the look in everyone's eyes... I know they've already given up on her. They think she's dead. Looking around, I can't deal with it. I quickly storm from the room. Quinn and Mercury follow quickly behind.

"They all think she's dead," I nearly growl. "Every single freaking one of them."

"Deac, we're gonna-" Quinn starts.

"Find her? Do you think they really believe that?! Do you believe that?!"

"Deacon-" Mercury tries to say.

"SHE'S NOT DEAD!"

There is silence. He doesn't say a single word. I feel dead inside. A piece of me is missing. As much crap as I've gone through, this is what hurts me the worst.

"She can't be dead..." I say barely above a whisper. "She can't be. I couldn't... I couldn't handle it if she was."

"We're going to find your little girl, Deacon," Mercury says softly.

I crash to my knees, nearly falling into her arms. She embraces me gently, stroking my back and shushing me as if I were a small child. Maybe that's how helpless I feel right now. My baby girl was stolen from me, and I couldn't do a thing to stop it.

"We won't stop until she's back in your arms."

•:•.•:•.•:•:•:•:•:•:•:•☾🥀☽•:•.•:•.•:•:•:•:•:•:•:•

Song: Cinderella by Stephen Curtis Chapman

Uploaded by: Hi8Dxr