(3) We Fought With Robots

Start from the beginning

Edison scoffed, crossing his translucent arms. "Oh, don't be foolish, Mordecai. You can do it! I've seen you accomplish far more than this, so why hold yourself back?"

My temples began to ache and not from my electric injury. I had to remind myself that Edison's intentions were all in good nature. On the other hand, he was really starting to bug me.

"If I'm doing so great, then maybe I deserve something easy once in a while," I suggested, packing up my tools for the day. I knew no work could be done with this pushy spirit over my shoulder.

"Face it, boy, you're improving. Not only are you succeeding in your grades and projects, but Cleo tells me you're also making some friends here."

"I guess you could say that. . ."

I wasn't sure what he wanted to hear. Ever since I started at UA, Edison has been more out of touch with my social life. Cleo and Jack were always the ones to be curious and insist on meeting my friends. But after we lost Marie, Edison has been more focused on the house than what I was up to at school.

I expected Edison to continue his ramble about how I could improve, but instead I looked up to see him focused on the entrance at the front of the room.

"Is that one of them now?" He asked. I followed where he was looking to see the familiar pair of sky blue eyes in front of a head of curly ginger hair. Koto Yamada cautiously ducked her head inside to look around before finding me and waving.

I gently shook my head to Edison, but not enough that the girl ahead would notice.

"Sort of, but she's in Heroics," I told him, motioning Yamada inside and clearing Akiba's support gear off my desk.

"Really?" Edison's voice from behind my back asked in disbelief. "I wouldn't expect one of your little chums to come from that department. From what I've heard, you aren't exactly the friendliest with them." I could assume he got that idea from Cleo after she followed me to the 1-A movie night. Even though I ended up signing with Yamada and the other Hero students more than I thought, she still wouldn't let me hear the end of it.

I ignored Edison's comments throughout Yamada's visit, and I held up my uncooked hand to greet her.

"What's up?" I signed, trying to keep my phrases short and give my wrapped up hand a break.

Immediately, Koto fluently began to sign back. "I'm just here wondering if you need any help with my upgrades. I know you might have a lot to do, so if I can lend a hand, I don't mind."

"Would you look at that!" Edison laughed in amusement. He floated out from behind me and watched Yamada as she pulled her hands back and forth in sign. "I don't think I've ever met someone your age who knows sign language so well."

Knowing he would be talking my head off about this sooner or later, I went on to explain. "Edison, this is class 1-A's Koto Yamada. She's mute, so we both use sign language."

"Well, it's a pleasure to meet you, Miss Yamada," Edison declared, floating forward and introducing himself while knowing full well she was oblivious to him.

I let Edison humor himself with Yamada while I dug through my desk to answer her question.

"I actually finished during lunch today," I signed to Yamada, grabbing my box with her hero name labeled across the front. I set the case on my work table and motioned for Yamada to stand on the same side to see.

Inside were her requested upgrades: a pair of soundless flats with enough support and static cling to keep her grounded as well as a set of soundproof headphones. The black and blue design was meant to coordinate with her hero costume while each set of gadgets were low profile.