And the Yaning she knew in high school was completely different than the Yaning who had shown up at their apartment two days ago. Dare she say it, Mashiro wanted to get to know the new Yaning. She continued to push the thought to the back of her mind, cursing herself for even thinking of being nice to the girl.

She'd been staring at her ceiling for over an hour when a flicker of light brought her out of her thoughts. She sat up quickly, staring at the crack in the door. "Wha...?" she yawned, running a hand through her messy hair and narrowing her eyes to try and see who was there.

The door creaked open slightly and a figure entered the room. She should've known. Yaning.

"What do you want?" Mashiro sighed. When she didn't get a response, she rolled over on her side and reached to turn on the small lamp next to her bed. Her heart jumped when she turned back over and could finally see the taller girl.

Yaning's hair was still in the same bun from earlier that day, but half of it was falling out on one side of her face. Small pieces of hair were sticking to her forehead, which was glistening with a thin layer of sweat. The taller girl was visibly upset, Mashiro could tell by the pained look in her eyes and the irregular speed of her breathing.

"What's wrong?" Mashiro asked, tilting her head to the side and sitting up in her bed. Yaning tilted her head the same way Mashiro had, studying the short haired girl in the dim light of the bedroom.

"Shilo?" Yaning whispered, taking the tiniest of steps forward and hugging the t-shirt close to her chest.

Mashiro chose to ignore the nickname the girl had given her. It was actually kind of cute. Kind of. But barely. Mashiro actually hated it... no she didn't. The short haired girl sighed and nodded. "Yeah?"

Yaning took a deep breath and glanced nervously around the room, as if she were afraid of someone watching them. "Are you my friend?" There was a pleading tone in her voice, and Mashiro could tell Yaning was on the verge of some sort of breakdown.

Letting her hands drop to her sides in defeat, Mashiro sighed heavily. "Yes, I'm your friend," she nodded slowly, suddenly feeling glad that she'd said those words. Yaning's face lit up for a second, but she quickly remembered why she was here and her expression quickly faltered.

"Promise?" Yaning mumbled, her voice barely a whisper. Her anxiousness was killing Mashiro, and the girl quickly held out her pinky in front of Yaning.

"Promise," she nodded once. Yaning sighed in relief, slowly reaching out and interlocked their pinkies. Mashiro felt how warm Yaning's hands were and only grew more concerned. "Now what's wrong?" she asked, adopting a softer tone and patting the spot on the bed next to her.

Yaning looked surprised by Mashiro's sudden change in character, but if she was, the taller girl didn't question it. She practically jumped on the bed next to Mashiro, landing on her knees and quickly tucking her feet under her. She glanced around the room once more.

The tall girl leaned in close to Mashiro, as if she were telling her a secret. "There are bad things here," she whispered, before drawing her face away from Mashiro and quickly scanning the room to see if anyone had heard them.

"Bad things?" Mashiro questioned, growing even more concerned than she already was. Yaning took her bottom lip in-between her teeth and nodded quickly. "What bad things?"

Yaning shook her head violently and squeezed her eyes shut, practically making the entire bed shake. Mashiro quickly reached out and grabbed the girl's shoulders to try and still her. Yaning's eyes shot open and she almost flinched backwards, but she realized who the hands belonged to and remained still.