Chapter 1: Fall

David woke up as his alarm went off. His hand reached out and shut down the dreading sound. With a groan, he turned his head a bit and was surprised to not see his girlfriend in the bed. Their relationship was not on good terms for over a year, exactly after Catherine found out she was pregnant.

She didn't want to keep the baby for various reasons, but David, the adamant man he was, had persuaded her to keep the baby, of course with the promise of money and many other things, and had patiently endured the nine months of hell that Catherine had created for him.

But the moment the nurse placed his tiny daughter in his arms, he knew all of his patience was worth it. Daisy had quickly become the reason for his happiness and joy. Although her mother didn't change her bitchy attitude even after giving birth to the little angel. If anything, she became worse, always nagging and pissing David off. She didn't even pay attention to her daughter and David was forced to hire a nanny. 

Aiden, David's younger brother was pestering him to take full custody of Daisy and throw Catherine out. But David was resisting, saying that it was the depression after giving birth, hoping that Catherine would show some motherhood soon. He didn't want Daisy to grow up without a mother.

David frowned. It was odd that Catherine had woken up before him being the lazy woman she was. He got up and left the room to Daisy's nursery in sweatpants and a t-shirt. It was a long time since he had any intimate activities with Catherine. She was the mother of his daughter and he was loyal to her, but something was not right about being with her anymore. 

Only if she was not the mother of his daughter...

He entered the nursery only to see Lora, cleaning the room. Lora was both Daisy's nanny and also one of the maids of the penthouse. Her husband also was David's driver. "Oh, good morning, sir." she said and smiled professionally as David entered the room.

David nodded in greeting. "Where is Daisy?" he asked not being able to help the bad feeling growing in the pit of his stomach.

"Miss Catherine has taken her out with herself." said Lora. A shadow of worry that fell on her face made David feel worse. "I saw them as I entered the penthouse. Miss Catherine said there is no need for me today as she is taking Daisy with her. She told me to tell you she is waiting for you in your office. She has a surprise for you."

David's frown deepened and Lora gulped and fidgeted nervously at seeing his cold face, dropping her forced smile. 

"What the fuck is she planning to do this time?" muttered David, and rubbed his face and then looked up at Lora while leaving the room. "You can leave after you are done." he said coldly. "I will call you if your presence is needed. There is a chance that she has come back to her senses and finally wants to be a good mother."

"Yes, sir." answered Lora quietly and sighed in relief after David left the room.

He walked to his room and slammed the door shut frustrated and angry. He was tried. He had worked late last night and had only slept for 6 hours in the last four days working hard on a big project that would bring so much profit for his company. Aidan had gone on a business trip regarding the new project and David had dealt with so many matters alone in his absence. He really didn't have time, energy, and patience for any of Catherine's stunts.

He quickly took a shower and got ready for work. Half an hour later, he walked out of the penthouse clad in a black Armani suit and with his briefcase in his hand. Catherine was not answering any of his calls and was getting on his nerves. He didn't want to call his PA and ask her for such a matter. He was worried for Daisy. Catherine had proved to be a careless mother who didn't care about her baby a bit.