◇ The Locket (horcrux hunt, 7th yr)

Ron was gone. It's been almost two weeks since then.
Harry thought that at least Hermione would stay by his side. They had a mission and he wasn't in a state of mind to do this alone.

How wrong he was.

___________

After she had left too he started searching for ways to destroy the locket. He couldn't find anything. He thought of searching for the Cup, and he found it in Gringotts. But his sadness overtook him and he couldn't focus on the task anymore. He only remembered to eat three meals a day. He fell into depression.

And then it happened.

One quiet evening when the sky is pitch black he hears a voice. An alluring, sweet voice of baritone quality.

"Thank Morgana. I thought these two would never leave."

Harry yelps and turns around, his wand at the ready -
and he sees none other than Tom bloody Riddle.

Shit.

"What the fuck? What are you doing here?"

The older boy merely smiles invitingly at the exhausted seventeen year old.
"What does it look like, sweetheart? I'm helping you out. I mean, your friends for life pretty much abandoned you just because they had families to care about, unlike you. First the selfish ginger and then the sentimental mudblood, who followed after her boyfriend like a lovesick dog." The smile is slowly replaced by a frown full of disgust. "Pathetic, both of them." After some while though Tom's eyes light up again and his easy going mood comes back. "But that's alright. You have me now."

Harry averts his gaze. His much too terrified not to. "No offense but after everything your other selves have done to me, I don't exactly appreciate the offer."

Tom waves a hand of dismissal to the comment full of spite. "There is nothing to be done about that, Harry. I'm afraid we will have to cooperate with one another. That is... if you want to make the best of your already unfortunate situation."

Harry sighs. He does not notice that the hand that holds his wand is slightly lowered. "Do I actually have a choice?"

"Well, no." Answers Tom easily. "But I do love creating the illusion of it."

"Which one of them did you kill?" Asks the boy a few minutes later after the initial shock has passed. "Whose life did you drain so you can talk to me like this? Was it Ron's?"

"The ginger, huh?" Hums the older man while tapping a finger to his chin, feigning doubt. "Good choice. I guess he deserved it for being such a dull and glutton sort of character. Always complaining... about how much he missed his family, how he had lost all hope. It got repetitive after a while. So I made him stop." His voice is one fitted for the fallen angel Lucifer to have, delicate yet dangerous. "Permanently."

Harry growls. It's barely audible due to its softness. In an instant he has pinned the other on one of the wooden planks that are half buried in soil and support the tent. "I swear I'm going to fucking kill you for this-!"

Tom just keeps his damn smile on. "With whose wand, savior? Because yours is surely not fit for the task."

The raven haired grits his teeth so much it hurts. "Of course it is..."
And then he takes a good look at the piece of wood he's been clutching to. It's broken, bending a little to the left though he hadn't realized it before. Some strings are barely holding it together. Harry wants to throw the useless stick away in his rage. "What happened to it? Did you-?"