Chapter 10: New York nuisances.

Bucky awoke to find himself cuffed and sitting in the berth of a giant machine. He looked around, and found Bruce sitting right across from him.
     "Bruce!" He exclaimed. "Where are we going?"
     Bruce's eyes had a haunted look to them. "The Cube." He said.
     Admittedly, without context, "the Cube" sounds harmless. But with Bruce's voice sounding so grim, it sounded terrifying. Bucky couldn't help asking:
     "What's the Cube?"
     "The Cube" Said the man named Ross, as he came in. "is a gamma research facility. And it's where you two are going to spend a long time." He looked at them both in turn. Especially you, Banner." He glared at the scientist. "We're in New York right now." He added. " It'll be a while before Nevada, but you'll get there. That, I promise."
     Bucky smirked slightly. All this time, while Ross was monologuing, he had been working on his restraints. His sharp, metal fingers worked away at the cuffs, till they finally fell off. As soon as he heard the cuffs hit the seat behind him, he bolted from his sitting position to Ross in an instant.
     Ross's breath hitched as Bucky's fingers closed around his throat. He squeezed slightly, causing the older man to gasp.
     "How did you...?" He didn't struggle. He didn't know what Bucky would do if he did. Bucky could, truthfully, snap his neck with a twitch. He wouldn't do it, of course, but Ross didn't know that.
     "One wrong move," Bucky said. "And you're in two pieces, you worthless piece of trash. By the way, you're pretty ugly yourself. And I'm an only child."

     Rick was walking down the hallway in the mansion, when he heard the alarm sound. He grabbed his Avengers' ID card, and called up Janet.
     "What's happening?" He asked.
     "Some weird things are attacking Ellis Island. The rest of the Avengers are on it. Cap and I are still here, though." She responded.
     Rick sighed with relief. The monsters would be taken care of soon enough. Suddenly, though, he heard something behind him. He looked towards the front doorway to see a strange white-ish dough like monster coming towards him. When it hit one of the columns, it split in two, until it came completely around, reforming on the other side.
     "Ewww!" He heard the voice of Janet behind him. He turned and ran towards her. He couldn't fight, so he usually stayed behind any hero nearby. A number of missiles came up from the ground. They fired on the oozing monster, only to be caught inside of it. They exploded, and had no effect on the creature.
     "What?" Said Janet. She held her hands up, charged and ready for a fight. "Okay. You're fat and disgusting. And, lucky for me, slow." She charged at the beast, firing her small, yet effective blasts at the revolting thing. They hit it, and the thing was visibly hurt by them. It flew at Janet, suddenly gaining speed.
     "Okay, I take it back. Not sl-" She was cut off, as the thing caught her in its mouth.
     "Wasp!" Rick shouted. At the same time, Cap ran into the hallway. He stood in front of Rick protectively. The thing came at them, but stopped short as a yellow light began to glow inside of it. It shook for a moment before exploding, scattering bits of dough substance everywhere. A form rose from the goo. Janet's wings fluttered the stuff off of them. She coughed, wiping the monster remnants off of her face.
     "Ugh! That was disgusting."
     Suddenly, a streak of light hit Janet, knocking her down. Rick felt a sharp pain, and was then unconscious.

     "Thanks for the ride," Said Bucky. "but this is where we get off." He held Ross's neck in his hands. Soldiers held guns up to his face, but Bucky squeezed harder on Ross's neck.
     "Hold your fire!" Said Ross. His men put down there guns, and backed away. Bucky squeezed again, slightly. "Alright!" Ross choked. "Let them out."
     Bucky smirked. This was easier than anticipated. They opened a hatch on the ceiling of the machine. Bucky grabbed a gun from one of the holsters of the soldiers. That might come in handy later.
     They rose out of the thing, and Bucky found himself on top of a moving tank like machine. He helped Bruce out, and kept the gun trained on the hatch. They got down from the machine. Bucky never kept his eye off of it, but ran with Bruce as far away as possible. They began to give chase, but Bucky had counted on this.
     He grabbed Bruce by the shirt collar and shoved him into an alleyway, saying quickly and quietly: "Run!" With that, he turned towards the huge hulking monster of a vehicle that had just turned around fully. It aimed its gun at Bucky. He readied himself for one heck of an impact. If he blocked the shot with the robotic limbs somehow, he could intimidate them into retreating. It was a stupid idea, but he could put himself back together, so it was worth a shot.
     The canon was aimed straight at him. He built up the robotic pieces protectively around himself, forming a shield in front of him. He knew he wouldn't die from this, but it would hurt for sure.
     Bucky realized Ross must've been pretty dang mad at him to do this. The shot hit the protective shield, coming through mostly, but getting stuck in the middle. He skidded backwards quite a few feet. Bucky absorbed the large projectile into the rest of him with a self-satisfied smirk.
     But the gun was being readied again. Bucky growled irritatedly. It fired another shot, this time hitting Bucky's chest. Bucky had no time to ready for this. It hit him, knocking him off his feet, and blowing him into the side of an old building, knocking down the wall. He rose from the rubble, and picked up one of his arms. It reattached itself back to his body.
     Bucky decided retreating with Bruce was a better idea. He'd stalled them for long enough. He ran to a building and jumped up, using the new limbs to add some force some strength into the jump, letting it take him to the top of the structure. From there, he ran from rooftop to rooftop, looking for Bruce.
     He heard the sound of machinery from above him soon. He looked up to see a helicopter hovering over him. He formed a gun in his hand, aiming it up at the cockpit. This was one of Ross's. He fired, hitting the window, cracking it, and causing confusion to the pilot.
     Bucky jumped down from the building, deciding that it would be safer to search from the ground. It was then he heard a loud roar. What was that? He ran in the direction he heard it. Reaching it, he found a large, green, angry monster towering over him. The monster looked confused, but quickly turned and spotted Bucky. The robotic sidekick looked in surprise as the monster looked down at him and spoke.
     "You're the kid, right?"
     Bucky couldn't speak for a moment. "Bruce?" He said.
     He growled. "Not Banner. Hulk."
     "Right." Bucky said with a gulp. This was the Hulk. The monster that Bruce had told him about. It was a lot more intimidating in person. Bucky decided it was time to go.
     " Come on. Bruce said to find the Avengers." He said.
     The monster growled again. "They won't help."
     "But Bruce said to-"
     The Hulk turned and gave him a look that made him shiver. "No." He said. "We don't need the Avengers. Come on."
     Bucky decided there was no arguing with the huge being. All he could do was follow. And that's what he did.