Good wine and a good story

Start from the beginning

Your train of thought was broken as a figure came in through the window at the speed of light, your eyes barely being able to follow it. Your body seized up, blood rushing to your head, making you dizzy, as you thought perhaps the masked man was coming back to finish you off.

Instead, as the figure stopped next to your bed, you realised it was Xiao, his golden eyes looking you up and down worryingly.

"You're awake," he said out of breath, chest heaving up and down. He surveyed the room, eyes squinting in suspicion. You wondered if he felt the energy left from the masked man, but your body still wouldn't cooperate and talk. He seemed to notice that as he hurried to the other side of your bed to a glass of water you hadn't even noticed.

"Here, drink this." He raised your head gently and touched the cup to your lips, letting you drink slowly. You hadn't even realised how parched you were as you downed the whole cup of water.

He set the now empty cup down and turned his attention back to you. He noticed the way your hair was matted to your forehead and the dry tear tracks left on your cheeks.

Reaching a hand over to cup your cheek he asked, "What happened?" He brushed a thumb over a fallen tear you hadn't noticed still clung to your cheek. His touch brought you comfort like no other thing could in your current state.

But could you tell him? He already knew about what the white figure had done to you but wouldn't it put him in danger if he knew he was back? You didn't want to involve anyone else in your mess. You didn't want to lose more people you loved.

"Nothing," you lied easily, "Just a nightmare, I guess."

"And you called my name in your sleep?" He raised an eyebrow but kept brushing his thumb over your cheek comfortingly. You leaned into his hand subconsciously. It was so warm.

"I-I don't know. Would it be a bad thing?" You asked, trying not to meet his eyes.

He shook his head, "Of course it wouldn't be. If you are ever in danger, call my name. I will be there, no matter what."

"You'll hear me? No matter where I am?" You questioned, eyes shining with something other than tears.

"Of course I will," instead of the unsure, quiet tone he usually used with you, this time it was filled with determination, boldness and that same emotion you'd been trying to figure out since the first day you saw him. "I always will," he continued in a lower voice, almost a whisper. It sent chills down your spine but it wasn't fear, no, for once you felt hope burst in your chest.

"Why are you crying?" You could hear the panic in his voice as your tears blurred your view of him, his arms were fretting around in a frail attempt to find a way to comfort you.

Instead of answering, you continued to cry, letting out loud sobs as your tears wet your cheeks. You didn't hold anything back, didn't care how loud you were, didn't even bother hiding your face. You let out the fear and the despair you felt caused by your encounter with the masked man, all the hopelessness you felt about finding Yin, the confusion after finally visiting Liyue and all the peculiar happenings. It all felt too much and you couldn't hold it in anymore.

You didn't know why the masked man came back after such a long time nor what he wanted from you and that was probably what scared you the most. You knew if you were to fight the way you were right now, heartless and powerless, you'd lose.

You couldn't even tell the people around you unless you wanted to put them in danger. You knew if they got involved it would just end in a one-sided massacre. You'd never let that happen.

You choked on a sob when you felt being pulled forward abruptly and your head pulled onto a chest. You tried looking up at Xiao, barely being able to catch a glimpse at his red ears before he pushed your head back down onto his chest in a hurry.