Questions

It had been six months since you returned from your short runaway trip to California and things had gone better. Though things weren't what they were before, you and Sam were finally back on speaking terms, which meant once a week.

You and Bucky had made things official and moved into one room together and thoroughly enjoyed one another's company.

"Buck, can I ask you something?"

"You can ask me anything, doll."

"That first night that I came home and told you I loved you, what did you think? Did you think I was lying?"

"I wasn't sure what to think," he admitted. "I think I just blamed it on you being drunk."

"I never thought we'd be where we are today."

"I thought you would've ended up with Sam," Bucky replied with a chuckle.

"What makes you say that?"

"He's still in love you. I can see it on his face when he looks at you."

"I guess I didn't notice," you muttered with a shrug.

"And I can tell you still have feelings for him too."

"That's far from true. We've hardly spoken since everything happened," you replied with furrowed brows.

"The way you look at him tells me otherwise," Bucky replied.

"I don't know what's going on with all of this insecurity of yours but I'm going for a walk," you huffed. "You should clear your head too."

You leave your room and head outside for a walk. Sam, who had just finished training, saw you and jogged to catch up before joining you.

"I know that look. Are you okay?"

"I'm fine, Sam," you muttered as you avoided looking at him.

"What happened this time?"

You stopped walking and turned to face Sam.

"Are you in love with me, Sam?"

"Why would you ask me that?" Sam questioned.

"Just answer the question."

"Yes," he replied simply.

You couldn't help but sigh.

"Why?"

"I always have been, Y/N. But you knew that," Sam replied.

"Okay, that still doesn't answer my question. Why?"

"Because you're perfect. You're the whole damn package."

"Far from," you laughed, completely unamused. "Thanks for the honesty, Sam."

You turned back towards the compound and began to walk away when Sam called after you.

"Do you love me?"

"I have to go," you shrugged. "Thanks for the chat."

You jogged back to the compound and back to yours and Bucky's room to find him.

"I saw you out there with Sam. How did that go?" Bucky asked.

"It was fine. Sam being Sam," you replied. "You okay now?"

"I'm fine. I'm sorry for how I acted," Bucky said softly. "I was projecting and I'm sorry."

"It's okay," you muttered before walking up to him to kiss his cheek.

"So doll, I was thinking something."

"What were you thinking?" You asked as you sat beside him on the edge of the bed.

"Do you want to marry me?"

Your eyes widened in shock and your jaw dropped slightly.

"I'm sorry— what?"

"Was that bad timing or was that a no?" Bucky asked, his heart racing.

"I just didn't know if I heard you right," you replied with breathy laughter. "Ask me again."

"Will you marry me?"

The simplicity of it all made you smile. It wasn't over the top or in front of the whole world— it was just the two of you and that was enough.

"Of course I will!"

Your smile grew before you pressed a long kiss to Bucky's lips.

"Let's go tell everyone," you said quietly.

"Wait."

You stood up and Bucky pulled you back by your hand.

"Is everything okay?"

Bucky walked over to his dresser and rummaged through the top drawer before pulling a box out and revealing a ring to you.

"I think this belongs to you," he said softly before sliding the ring onto your finger.

"It's perfect," you said softly before taking his hand.

He walked out to the common area where everybody was getting ready for a movie marathon.

"Buck and I have some news for you guys," you said with a smile.

"Everything okay?" Steve asked with furrowed brows.

"We're engaged!" You held your left hand out for everyone to see and Natasha was the first to come running.

"It's beautiful," she said as she held your hand and examined the ring.

"Congrats, man," Steve said as he got up and hugged Bucky before hugging you.

"Do you guys mind if we join you for movie night?" You asked softly, avoiding looking at Sam at all costs.

"You know it," Natasha said as she took her seat on the couch.

Bucky sat on an oversized armchair and you snuggled up beside him.

That was it. The happiest day of your life so far.