| chapter nine |

THE market place was crowded with the bustle of people as they weaved in and out of the area. women dressed in dull toned dresses with their hair tied back to clearly show they were of working class, small groups of boys with dirt and grime covering them looking enviously at the loaf of bread y/n had recently purchased.

y/n glanced at the boys, they looked possibly nine or ten but the fact that they were starved and malnourished could mean they were actually older. she noticed their hungry look in their eyes on the warm, golden-brown loaf of bread nestled in her basket.

she grabbed the loaf and held it out to them. the boys looking puzzled as they tilted their heads up in confusion. y/n urged the boys to take it, "you can have it." she smiled gently and slowly put the loaf in one of the boys' arms as all of them seemed too perplexed to respond.

"thank you miss!" one of them -seemingly the oldest- said gratefully and the group of five ran off through the crowd, one pickpocketing a wallet on the way. y/n sighed, she was aware of how horrible children within this era was treated no matter what laws or acts the government had put in place.

y/n glanced at the shopping list that louis had made for her after asking her if she could read and when she gave him an expression of 'are you sending me shopping because i'm a woman?' he stumbled over his words and quickly explained how everyone was extremely busy and that he would've gone if not for the hefty housework he needed to complete before noon. "i was joking!" y/n laughed.

however, y/n assumed they were going to have a meeting on her sudden appearance within the group and sent her out to have her out of the house for a while. y/n wasn't angry that they didn't seem to trust her, it was perfectly reasonable considering how they have no knowledge of who she is nor where she came from.

after buying a couple fruits and vegetables, she walked further inwards of the market. the ground was an utter sight, the cobbled stones were muddy and dirty with clusters of horse faeces lying in random places. the market place obviously wasn't where the upper or middle class went as they would send maids or servants to obtain groceries.

she brought out the crumped paper again, glancing at the next item. two bags of flour. hm, louis must've liked to bake, she thought as she turned her head to see if she could spot any flour and unaware of the rapid thudding of multiple footsteps coming towards her direction. "hey! stop running you bloody criminal!"

people parted to the sides to make way for the commotion, a man with a panicked stricken look on his face ran past y/n leaving a bustling trail of wind. another male with untamed hair shoved in a ponytail and a ferocious yet determined look in his wild eyes followed, his pace becoming faster with his loud footsteps colliding against the floor. he accidentally pushed into y/n'a shoulder who stumbled slightly and caught herself at the same time she felt hands on her arms bracing her.

"ahh are you okay miss?!" another male with caramel coloured eyes and ash grey hair had asked in concern, catching her like a gentleman. the man prior had run off without apologising, chasing after the 'criminal' and left this poor man to clean up after him. he stepped back once he saw she was fine and bowed his head.

"i'm okay, thank you for catching me."

"i'm sorry about that miss, please don't heed it any mind." after he had uttered the last words he had started running again, an annoyed and tired tone shouted, "oi, sherlock pay more attention to your surroundings please?"

𝐓𝐑𝐀𝐍𝐒𝐂𝐄𝐍𝐃𝐄𝐍𝐓 | mtpजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें