Part 1

it starts, or least he's made aware of it when they're backstage after a music show, cooling down and celebrating their win. everybody has dispersed- some members relax on their own, some talk among themselves, some talk to the staff.

jake's wind down of choice is watching a series of dog clips online. he watches a husky puppy tumble down the stairs and a dog tumbling down a mountain . he giggles thoughout the whole ordeal. 

"Jay hyung!" jungwon calls, bounding over to jay and peeling him away from sunghoon.

jay laughs and excuses himself from sunghoon who only rolls his eyes in defeat, "what is it?"

"do you know where to buy this?" jungwon asks, showing a picture of a navy blue hoodie to jay. jake laughs at a video of a dog farting and a cat puking.

jay takes one glance at the hoodie and says, "yeah, consider it done."

"no, wait, i'm still paying for it, okay?"

"no, jungwon, I can-"

jake tunes them out and clicks on another video. this time it's a cat meowing irritated into the mic.

on the other side of the dressing room, there's sunoo, sunghoon, and riki. "no, hyung, if you bend over and look at the world upside down, you can see ghosts!" sunoo says, and then slaps riki on the ass, "riki, demonstrate."

riki grumbles but spreads his legs apart, bending all the way down until he sees the world right side up.

"you have to let all the blood rush to the top of your head," sunoo persuades when riki asks if he can get up already, "stay down, riki."

sunoo scrambles to get his phone, stepping back to get the best angle possible, and sunghoon has to cover his mouth in order not to laugh.

then sunoo takes a picture, and at the loud click, riki whips his long body back up in betrayal.

sunoo laugh and sunghoon laugh with him, reviewing the picture, and they ignore riki's complaints.

"you guys suck! i'm leaving. and getting back at you guys at the dorm, just you wait." riki huffs, stomping over his area to retrieve his Nintendo switch- a new one that jay brought in, for whatever reason, firetruck red, and one that, for some reason lost to him, riki loves dearly.

as jake is in the middle of watching corgi videos, he hears riki approach heeseung in an effort to get him to play the switch with him. even after rejection, riki squabbles with heeseung for a bit longer. jake smiles, amused, before continuing to scroll.

then his phone is plucked out of his hand, and he's met with riki's smiling face. "heeseung told me to stay with mom," riki's boyish little grin turns into a pout, wiggling his device in jake's face.

he splutters. "mom?" jake laugh unsurely, looking from riki in confusion to heeseung in question.

heeseung's eyes lifts his eyes up, tilting his head to the side slightly. jake can't pinpoint what exactly his expression means. "yeah. you're mom."

jake gapes. "what?"

heeseung only stares at him, unanswering. sunoo and jay now gang up on sunghoon as jungwon watches excitedly, and somehow, jake wants to get up and join them just to avoid heeseung's gaze.

thankfully, riki intercepts.

"jakeee hyunnggg. I wanna play! please?" riki whines, dumping himself on seat beside jake's to let his body stretch across jake's thighs. "mom, please."

"don't call me mom." jake chastises chuckling, before reaching over to take riki's switch so he can turn it on.

he doesn't have to look up to know heeseung is still staring at him.