The deafening sound of the buzzer filled the air and a moment after that, every single person in the stands was cheering on the top of their lungs. The marching band was playing, the cheerleaders were screeching, and the coaches were celebrating.

Hundreds of students rushed onto the field all at once chanting "Ryder", their arms flailing out to grab me.

Ew.

I didn't want to touch any of them. Besides I had a tradition—the first hugs after my game were always reserved for a certain little artist.

I'd almost made it back to the stands without being touched—though it did require some skillful finesse—when some blonde girl in a cheerleading outfit came up to me.

She popped her gum. "Heeeyyyy Christian."

"Hello," I sidestepped her but Barbie would have none of that.

"You did soooo good today," she continued.

"Thanks," I said, moving around her again.

Her manicured hand rested on my chest. What the fuck did this girl want?

"I'm trying to get somewhere," I deadpanned. Or more accurately, to someone.

"You could get to my place tonight instead," she winked. Jesus fucking Christ.

"Sweetheart, I am far too busy for this shit."

"I can make you feel real good," Barbie promised.

"So can drugs."

"I can—"

"Get the fuck out of my way," I snapped because Christian Ryder being an asshole wasn't a surprise to anyone so what the fuck did I care? All I knew was Barbie was keeping me from Robyn and that, in my book, was just a death wish. "You can't afford me, nor can you handle me. Don't talk to me again."

I pushed Barbie aside and made it all the way to the stands where a tiny girl with twelve freckles stood, tapping her shoe and trying to look pissed but just looking all around adorable.

I gave her the most charming, toothy smile I could muster and purred, "Hi, baby."

"Don't you dare." She narrowed her eyes even further.

Ugh. "What did I do now? I'm here."

"Did you hug anyone else?"

"No." As if.

"Are you sure?" She asked, crossing her arms. "I saw you chatting up Tara Jeffreys over there."

"Who the fuck is that?"

"The captain of the cheerleading team."

I took one step closer because she was literally ten feet away from me and refusing to touch me.

"I have no idea who that is."

"Hm."

"Robyn. You know you're the first hug. Always. Now get your ass over here before I carry you over my shoulder and drop you in the pool."

Her eyes widened in horror. "You wouldn't."

"Try me," I grinned, dropping my helmet and spreading my arms wide. "Come here."

She parked her hands on her hips, blowing some hair out of her face as she stared me down. But when I tilted my head to my side and gave her a smile I knew no one really had a chance against, she grinned and started running.

Robyn literally leaped into my arms, her chest hitting mine with so much force that I reeled back for a moment. She was so tiny but hugged like it was her fucking job. Still, all I cared about was that it smelled like berries and cinnamon and her. Just her.