Chapter 3

As Yeonjun took a shower the next morning, he thought back to his conversation with Luz. Her assertion that she was attracted to someone in the practice room was still a mystery to him. He pondered his reaction to her relationship with Huening Kai. Was he really just afraid Kai would get hurt? Or was he afraid for himself? The thought did sit well with him.

He spread some eucalyptus bath salts on the floor of the shower and the pungent scent began to drift up toward his nose. He breathed in deeply and let it out again slowly. The hot water rained down over his toned chest. He turned his face to the shower head and attempted to wash the picture of Luz from his head. He wished that she didn't affect him so much. He hated the fact that his consternation about Huening Kai was obvious. To make matters worse, each of the guys had a solo session with her today. Yeonjun breathed a few more times to try to center himself. He couldn't let her fluster him like she usually did.

He got out of the shower and went toward his room to change. On his way there, he stopped Huening Kai in the hallway.

"Hey, listen, we have solo sessions with Luz today. I expect you to be on your best behavior," Yeonjun warned.

Huening Kai laughed. "I don't know why you are so uptight, man. It's just some harmless flirting."

"Well, it's not appropriate to flirt with your vocal coach. Find someone else to flirt with," he advised his junior.

Huening Kai squinted at Yeonjun. "Do you know what I think?" he asked. "I think you want her for yourself and that's where all this is coming from. You make it sound like it's an appropriateness issue, but it's really about the fact that you don't like it that she likes me better."

Yeonjun was piqued, but he decided not to share Luz' revelation that she was attracted to someone else, not to Kai. As much as he wanted to score a win here, he knew it was not his secret to share.

"Listen, I have to follow the same guidelines you do, kid. So, I can assure you I won't be flirting with her either," Yeonjun vowed, wondering why he felt a twinge of disappointment upon making that declaration.

When they arrived at the studio, Beomgyu went in first for his solo session. After an hour, he emerged, smiling. "You know? She's a lot less abrasive one-on-one," he told the others. Soobin and Taehyun each had their sessions and came out in good spirits.

When Huening Kai entered the room, he silently cursed Yeonjun for making him feel awkward and off his game. Luz was wearing a red crop top and black leggings, complete with high-heeled boots. Her hair was wound into a tight braid that stretched to the middle of her back. Despite Yeonjun's warnings, Huening Kai was excited to spend some time alone with Luz.

They began with vocal exercises and scales. It was all pretty easy after years of training. After flying through the preliminary exercises, they got down to the meat of the song. He sang the chorus several times through with no issues.

"You have the chorus down," Luz complemented Huening Kai. "Let's give the bridge a try," she said, pointing to the lyrics on the lead sheet.

Facts that you're spoutin'

Don't stop the fountain

Of my life force running dry.

Stop saying words

That you know I have heard.

Do you love to see me cry?