everglow: eighteen

Start from the beginning

"Who is this woman?" Nia asks, staying patient.

"Right, her name's Gemma or is it Jemima? Don't fucking care actually," he shrugs.

"I don't know anyone with those two names, what did she want?" she continues.

Harry pauses and bites down his lip, controlling himself from getting emotional. He sniffs and shrugs. Anything to avoid vulnerability.

He sits up and shrugs off Nia's arm off his shoulder, refusing to be held like an emotional child.

Nia doesn't fight this and he continues with the conversation.

"Gemma Styles, that's her name," he says, plainly.

This throws Nia off and she waits for the other shop to drop.

"Your mother?" she squints, knowing nothing about his family.

"Apparently my older sister, that's what she claims but you know people lie like hell these days," he replies.

Nia slowly nods in understanding and realises she has never been told a thing about his biological family.

She's not even sure if he knows anything about his birth mother because he only spoke about the family that raised him before he moved with Jeff's family.

"You have a sister?" she's not sure if she sounds stupid.

"Apparently I also have a mother who has been searching for me for a while now," he chuckles.

"Oh god, I'm confused," Nia pauses.

"According to Miss Gemma, she gave us up and I kept my name because the shit heads who raised me didn't plan on keeping me. Gemma only recently changed her name and it just feels too convenient, I'm bloody superstar so yeah," he replies.

"Wait, it makes sense - did you have a conversation with her?" she asks.

"What the fuck are we supposed to talk about? I kicked the bloody stranger out and warned her to back off," he explains.

"Harry," she says.

"Nia, you cannot tell me how to handle my own pain," he reminds her.

"I know but it's just good to know you have an actual family out there itching to reconnect with you," she explains.

"Took 'em long enough," Harry shrugs and stands up. "I'm done talking about this."

"Fine but wait, I have something to show you," Nia stands up with a smile.

Harry struggles to return the smile and watches her open the slender box he didn't even notice was in her hand. Nia gets out a beautiful pearl necklace that holds their initials engraved on them and she leans closer to wear it around his neck.

This simple gesture makes his heart ache at how much he loves this woman and he wraps his arms around her, holding her closer to him.

This is the only family he is choosing to know and have. Anybody else can truly go to hell.

"It's beautiful," he whispers.

"Stop, you haven't seen it yet," she giggles.

"Anything from you is beautiful," he smiles in return.

Nia nods and gently kisses him.

"H, I love you. If you ever want to go down this family road, I'll be by your side, okay?"

"You're all that I need, I love you Nia."

Present Day

Harry is pacing around the living room and rubbing his palms together. He limps a little when his pacing gets faster and he slows down. It's been a whole day since he kissed Nia and they haven't addressed it like the cowards they are.