Chapter 3 ~ The 74th Annual Hunger Games Begins

Clove POV

Eventually I fall into a light asleep, but only for about 3 hours at most. When I wake up Cato is the first thing that crosses my mind. As I walk out of my room, the dead silence tells me Cato isn't up yet. That's weird. He usually wakes up before me. I'm about to look for him when my stylist, Flavia, calls me over and dresses me in some simple clothes – just pants and a shirt. The final dressings are done in the catacombs under the arena.

Before I have any say in it Flavia practically forces me up to rooftop of the building, which I have never seen before. Flavia stares into the sky expectantly, and that's when a hovercraft appears out of thin air above our heads and drops down a ladder. I look over to Flavia who simply nods at me. Warily I grab on to the ladder, which seems to have some magnetic attraction to anyone who touches it. I was glued on to the ladder.

The ladder was then drawn into the hovercraft, where I expected it to release me, but I was still stuck. A lady in white coat approached me. "This is your tracker. Stay still Clove." She says as she places a needle deep into my forearm. The sharp stabbing pain only lasts about a second then it's over. After this I'm released from the magnetic attraction of the ladder.

Flavia is then retrieved from the rooftop, and we are guided to a room where breakfast has been laid out. I guess I won't see any of the other tributes until we're in the arena. I don't speak at all to Flavia, I just try to stomach down as much food as I can. The beautiful view of the city out the windows distracts me as well.

After what feels like the shortest half an hour in my life, the windows black out. This means that we're getting close to the arena. Soon enough the hovercraft lands and Flavia and I head over to the ladder. This time the ladder leads to an underground tube, and one at a time we both climb down. Once we are under the arena we are then directed to my room for the final preparations.

I savour my warm shower and clean my teeth. Flavia puts my hair in a high ponytail and separates the ponytail with sections which looks like balls. Then the clothes arrived, it was the same for every tribute. The outfit consisted of simple tan trousers, a light green blouse, a sturdy brown belt, and a black jacket which had many layers. For shoes, we were given some basic leather boots, some of the nicest I've ever seen even though I'm from District 2.

Once I'm ready I sit on the couch, with nothing left to do but think about how I was going to go about the Cornucopia bloodbath. As time went on my nerves seemed to dissipate. I've been training for this my whole life; I know I'm ready. The Cornucopia is a goldmine, not just for weapons, food, medicine, ect. but also for blood.

I just need to get my hands on a knife. I'm quite certain that I could outrun the other tributes, most of them are weighed down by excessive muscle or are just plain slow. I'll sprint in, get a knife, and hunt down that girl from District 12. This is our best opportunity to have her dead. If anything goes bad, I know Cato, Marvel or even Glimmer would be right behind me.

My thoughts are interrupted by a pleasant female voice who announces that it is time to prepare for launch. Confidently I walk over to stand on a circular metal plate. Fire fills my eyes, as my killer instinct kicks in. I know that Cato, Marvel and Glimmer will be feeling the same. "Goodluck," Flavia says.

I nod my head as a glass cylinder lowers around me, cutting me off from Flavia and creating a dead silence. The cylinder begins to rise and a rush of adrenaline pumps through me. I stand in complete darkness for a few seconds, then I am pushed into open air. The bright sunlights stabs my eyes, but I quickly readjust. Birds chirp and the grass is artificially green.

"Ladies and gentlemen, let the Seventy-fourth annual Hunger Game begin!" The voice of Claudius Temple smith booms.

Cato POV