Chapter 27

A/N

If you thought that everything between Nikki and Evie would be better, you were so wrong. Play the song when I will point. Sorry to give you so many panic attacks. This is the most dramatic chapter in the whole story.

After 11 months... December 23, 1987...

It's been almost a year since Evie's accident. Fortunately, the young woman has fully recovered. She did not become addicted to drugs. If that had happened, she would probably be dead by now. The drugs are too strong for her fragile body.

Evie wonders how Nikki can survive on how many drugs he has taken. He still continues to take heroin. He hides from her, but she knows what he's doing. He always comes home late, barely able to walk. If Evie asks him where he was, he can barely talk, and of course he invents a lie.

The brunette got tired of arguing with him. Everything is useless. He does not listen to anyone. Absolutely nobody. She loses patience with him. She had a lot of patience. Evie sometimes thinks of break up with him as what he does affects her so much. She doesn't know what she can do to open his eyes and realize how bad he is doing himself. 

He always tells her that he will do something, that he will go to rehab clinic but he does nothing. He always tells her how stunned he was that she didn't become addicted. That she had so much ambition. And Evie gets very angry because he doesn't make any effort to give up the addiction.

In two days, it's Christmas, but Evie doesn't care at all. The holidays have no charm for her when she loses Nikki with each passing day.

This morning, Nikki tells Evie he's going to a party to meet his Guns 'N' Roses friends. She knows what he will do there. That's enough for her.

She is now sitting at the table, in the kitchen, drinking coffee and Nikki wants to go outside and she gets up quickly and slaps her palms on the table, the cup of coffee spills and the young woman screams, a vein swell in her temple:

"Are you going there to inject yourself again with that drug that will one day kill you?!"

Nikki stops walking immediately. He turns carefully to Evie, swallowing hard, seeing her face red with rage.

"Evie... What-"

"Don't even try to lie to me!" She yells. "I'm tired... I'm tired of your carelessness and your lack of will!"

"Evie," he sighs and approaches her, wanting to put a hand on her face, but she quickly avoids looking at him angrily.

"Don't touch me!" She cries.

"Good. If you don't let me touch you then maybe Patrick will like to do this," his expression changes, looking annoyed.

"What the fuck?!" Evie is bewildered by his statement. "What is that supposed to mean?"

"You know very well what I mean," he frowns. "I saw how you look at each other. "Patrick doesn't take drugs, he's so nice and gentle. You can't resist him."

"SHUT THE HELL UP!" Evie screams so hard her face turns red. "You know very well that there is nothing between me and Patrick! I can't believe what you told me! I did not expect this! How dare you? I am always with you and I try to help you... and you are telling me that?" Tears well up in her eyes. "You know what... I came to the conclusion that you love that stupid drug that will kill you more than me. It's your damn mistress! And I will end up not meaning anything to you!"

Nikki frowns again, but didn't say anything. He just leaves the room with his fists clenched.

Evie watches him helplessly as he leaves. What else could she say? He doesn't want to listen at all.