Chapter 21

Tommy and Nikki hurry down the hospital corridor. Nikki was shocked when his bandmate called to tell him that Amelie and Evie had had a car accident. They were not told anything about their condition.

Nikki looks quickly at Tommy and Tommy at him. They say nothing to each other, continuing to walk. How could Tommy be the same person if his daughter suffered something? He had only been a parent for a month and everything was wonderful. What if something happened to Amelie? Although she has not been with his bandmate for a long time, she is the mother of his child and Tommy really cares for her.

And Evie... whom she loves so much... Is she okay? He can't imagine the rest of his life without her. When everything seemed to be perfect between them again, this happened. He will lose his mind if he finds out that something happened to his girlfriend.

They enter a room. Nikki breathes a sigh of relief as he sees Evie lies on the bed, some doctors next to her, checking to see if she's okay.

"Babe!" He cries and hurries towards her.

She looks at him sadly, but in the depths of her soul she she waited to see him.

Nikki's heart breaks as he sees Evie's injured cheek and injured lip. He sits down next to her and takes her in his arms, covering her head with one hand and kissing her on the forehead.

"Oh, babe," he murmurs, "I was so worried..."

"Miss Martin is fine," says one of the doctors. "She was very lucky to escape with just some scratches and bruises. She will be well. But we'll keep an eye on her for a day."

Evie hugs Nikki and she bursts into tears. He looks into her eyes, wiping away her tears and says tenderly:

"Shh... You'll be fine, honey."

But Nikki has no idea why Evie is crying. The brunette looks at Tommy. He freezes when he sees the extremely sad expression on her face.

"I'm sorry... I'm so sorry, Tommy," she can barely say through the sobs of crying.

Nikki turns his sight to Tommy, who steps back and looks at Evie in horror. Tommy swallows hard, barely able to contain his emotions and whispers:

"Laura..."

"Oh, no," Evie nods, tears streaming down her eyes. "She's fine. Thanks to the car seat, she escaped unharmed. But... Amelie... She... She didn't make it!" Evie cries loudly and hides her face in Nikki's chest.

Nikki stares blankly for a few seconds, still unable to process what Evie said, now crying on his chest. He sighs and caress her back, with a despondent look.

Upon hearing such devastating news, Tommy's face falls. He looks blank at Nikki and Evie and without saying anything, he leaves. They could see the tears in his eyes before he left.

Evie cries even harder, Nikki pulls her closer to his chest, trying to comfort her.

"How did it happen?" Nikki asks after Evie calms down a bit.

"Someone hit us... That person was driving in the opposite direction. Looks like he died instantly," Evie speaks with great difficulty, tears are still falling from her eyes. "And then the car overturned... I saw black... And I woke up... I had blood on me. I turned around and saw that Laura looked ok. And then I looked at Amelie... I checked her pulse... But I knew! God! I knew she wasn't alive anymore! She looked awful! She was pronounced dead after the ambulance arrived. Nothing could be done... I can't believe it... We were both in the car with Laura... We were talking... We were happy and then this happened... Why? Amelie was so young... She had just given birth to Laura a month ago. Laura will never know her mother. Why is everything so unfair?!" Evie says again and bursts into tears again.

"I'm so sorry," that's all her boyfriend can say and he hugs her harder and kisses her on the top of the head.

The next day...

Evie leaves the room with Nikki. After a day in the hospital, after tests and CT scans, she can go home. Nikki holds her hand when they see Tommy entering a room, accompanied by a nurse.

Evie knows that's Laura's room. She is well and will go home.

"I have to go to him," Evie tells Nikki, looking at the room where Tommy came in.

"Okay," Nikki squeezes her hand gently and shows her a small smile.

Evie walks into the room and sees the nurse who puts Laura to Tommy's arms.

"Laura is fine," says the nurse. "She can go home."

Tommy, thanks her and the nurse leaves the room. On the way, the nurse smiles at Evie who stands in the doorway.

The brunette enters and hears Tommy talking to Laura, who doesn't know that anyone is behind him:

"It's just the two of us now, Laura... If you only had to have one parent, it would have been preferable to be your mother, not me. I... I don't know how to raise you..."

"I'll help you," Evie says promptly, and walks past Tommy, who looks at her in surprise.

"Evie? I didn't hear you coming in..."

"Sorry that I sneaked in like that," Evie smiles weakly and looks at Laura, who is being held by her father, who seems to be falling asleep. "She was so lucky to escape without a scratch."

"Unfortunately, her mother wasn't..." Tommy sighs and looks sadly at the baby.

"I know... And unfortunately we can't change that. That was Amelie's fate. I will miss her very much. We grew up together..."

"I don't know how to raise such a small child," Tommy whispers.

"I'm helping you," Evie smiles at him. "Amelie was like my sister. I am Laura's godmother. A godmother has the duty to take care of her godchild in case the child's parent dies. I'll take care of Laura like my daughter," says Evie, and smiles softly at the baby who fell asleep in her father's arms.

"Thank you, Evie," Tommy looks at her for a few seconds and then at his daughter who sleeps so peacefully.

"I'll bring Laura's things to you... I think it would be better to bring them now... Before the funeral," the last words barely come out of her mouth, it's too hard for her to tell them.

"She's going to live with me and Heather now...." Tommy says, looking lost. "What will Heather say?"

"What can I say?" There is a voice coming from behind.

Tommy and Evie look at each other surprised and then turn around and see Heather, Tommy's fiancée, walking towards them. She stops next to them and looks curiously at the baby, a small smile appearing on her face.

"Heather..." says Tommy.

"This little girl could never bother me. In fact, I can't wait to have her in my house. We will spend precious time together."

Evie shows her a sincere smile, and tears form in the corners of her eyes.

"Can I hold her?" Heather asks and stretches out her hands.

"Of course," her fiancé answers, and gives Laura to her.

"What a wonderful little girl," says Heather, looking longingly at the sleeping baby.

"I guess Laura is in good hands now," Evie smiles.

Heather looks up at Tommy and says, her blue eyes twinkling with emotion:

"We'll all be fine."

Tommy smiles at Heather  and approaches her and kisses her on the forehead. One of his hands goes down on little Laura's head. They both look at the baby now, and their faces show that they are more optimistic.