Momentary Respite

Začít od začátku

Susato stared at it blankly.

"Yes! You see, dear fellows, Miss Susato's object of dearest desire is, in fact... world-famous detective Herlock Sholmes! Who has suffered immense offense ever since the dear madam rejected his kindly gift of a most delicious scone an entire decade ago!"

"You have a grudge against Miss Susato...over a scone?" Ryunosuke said.

"Indeed, I do! But I am willing to cast that aside," Sholmes said.

"Mr. Sholmes...I have made it clear on numerous occasions that I do not have any intentions towards you," Susato said.

"Ah! I am sorely wounded, dear madam! How ruthlessly you speak!" Sholmes said, dropping the plate and placing both hands over his chest.

"Hurley! You tried to woo Susie?" Iris said.

"Not all. Not at all, my dear Iris. I merely asked for her hand in marriage."

"You...what!?" Ryunosuke said, stunned.

Susato sighed and touched her fingers to her cheek. "It was not an earnest proposal. Nor was it out of any emotion. It was a matter of...well, convenience, I suppose. And something I could never accept."

"Do you hear how she casts further pain upon me, dear Iris?" Sholmes said, dramatically sinking to one knee.

Iris giggled. "Oh, Hurley. You're so silly sometimes. So, Susie! Who was this friend? Is it anyone I know? Maybe I can help you come up with a way to mend your bond!"

"I think it is best to let the matter go, Iris. I'm sorry," Susato said.

Sholmes popped back up to his feet, one finger lifted. "Was it a Russian man that earned your affections?"

"No, Mr. Sholmes," Susato sighed.

"Hmmm. Well, Susie, what kinds of people did you meet back then?" Iris said.

"...Members of the Yard and Judiciary. Some doctors. A student or two at the University of London. Some nobles..." Susato said.

"Nobles!" Iris gasped.

"The...Pineapple man?" Ryunosuke said.

"Mr. Naruhodo. I believe I told you exactly who this...friend of mine was," Susato said with a sigh.

"...Oh. You went to see him. I have to admit, it's hard to imagine you could have ever been so close with someone like him," Ryunosuke said a bit sheepishly. "I suppose he has changed a lot, though, surely?"

"Yes. Yes, I suppose he has," Susato said.

"Oh! Who is it? I simply must find out!" Iris said, and clasped her hands together while beaming.

A sharp pang. Susato looked away from the vibrant girl.

"Your most regrettable beloved is someone Mr. Naruhodo has had occasion to cross paths with then," Sholmes said.

"Oh yes! You're right, Hurley! Oh! Susie! Is it...Gregsy?" Iris said.

"What!?" Susato said, taken aback.

"Ah, Inspect Gregson. An inferior choice. You should really pine over my good self instead, dear madam," Sholmes said.

"Hmmm...Gregsy is a great guy, but he's a bit old for you, don't you think?" Iris said.