Jay and Erin stood idly behind the glass of the viewing room, "you think she's scoring for herself?" Jay folded his arms.  Erin slowly shrugged, "I don't know. I can't really tell, she might be, but she's too closed off right now. We'll have to try again in a while, there's no chance we're getting anything out of her any time soon. I still don't think she's good for the case anyways..." she smiled weakly. Jay nodded as the pair began leaving the viewing room. It's currently 1:25pm and they're willing to wait the whole day for an answer.

~

                      At around 2:45pm, Erin was stood behind the glass in the viewing room, she let out a weary sigh as she watched Gabby sit there in boredom. She wasn't aware of hank, who was stood in the doorway watching her, until he stepped forward to stand next to her. Both of them watching Gabby. The pair shared a moment of silence before hank sighed, "she reminds me of you" he nodded with a small smile across his face. Erin looked over her shoulder to see hanks smile, "the first time I met you, you said the same thing remember? I don't wanna talk to you so you can..." he began replaying the memories, "kiss my ass" Erin spoke along with him, finishing the sentence.

                   The pair shared a small moment of peace before Erin sighed, "I remember feeling bad about saying that at first, but I knew you weren't gonna give up on me, I could see it in your eyes..." she folded her arms.  Hank nodded, "well I can see the same thing in your eyes right now, so don't give up on her, keep pushing for answers. You'll get there..." he squeezed her shoulder and handed her the case file before leaving the viewing room to return to the bullpen.

Gabbys head shot up as the door opened again, she's been alone for what feels like years, she wants to leave more than ever right now.  She recognised the woman who waltzed right in, but this time she was alone, "hi, you feel like talking to me now?" Erin sat down in the same chair as before. The teenager ran a hand through her hair, the handcuffs still suffocating her wrists, "I already told you, I got nothing to say. I gotta get home" she shook her head. Erin opened up the file in her hands, "I contacted your school, you've got quite a reputation going huh?" She smiled weakly.

                Gabby slowly nodded in shame, "fighting, skipping class, low attendance... You're not one for school?" Erin read from the file, enquiring a little.  Gabby let out a huffed laugh, "I guess not" she shrugged. Erin nodded slowly, god this kid has high walls... "I used to be like you" she sighed. Gabbys head slowly raised from looking at the ground, "how'd you mean?" She frowned slightly.  Erin clasped her hands over her abdomen, "you know, the fighting and the drugs. I used to get into all kinds of trouble, I'd be running from the police every weekend " she shrugged, just watching for any signs of life from the teenager in front of her. 

                  Gabby slowly averted her gaze to the glass behind of the woman sat ahead of her, "well I'm glad you got better, but I don't do drugs. Never have, never will" she raised her eyesight in an unamused manner.  Erin tilted her head slightly, "so why the ice?" She shrugged, hoping she had caught the kid out in a lie or even better, the truth.  Gabby placed her hands on the table, "it was for a friend" she shrugged in an unbothered way.  Erin nodded, "how about you give us your friends name, and you can walk away uncharged?" She smiled sadly.

"No can do" Gabby kept her gaze away from Erin's. The older woman furrowed her brows, "why not? You wanna go home don't you? This'll let you go home..." she sighed sadly. Gabby smiled to herself, "what kind of a friend would I be if I ratted someone out?" She drew her lips into a thin line.  Erin smiled sadly, "In the end, it's every man for themselves, gabby. Unless someone really cares for you, and I mean really cares for you, they're not gonna stay loyal forever. So, ask yourself if they're really worth taking the fall for..." she slowly stood up.  Gabby watched in silence as the older woman left the room, well...

~

Erin found herself stood watching gabby again despite it being 6:20pm right now, the kid just will not crack and she's running out of options. Hank joined her as Erin was about to leave, "still no luck?" He folded his arms.  She slowly shook her head, "nope, she's covering for someone. I don't believe her story about this friend she keeps mentioning, but she's definitely bluffing" she sighed.  Hank nodded, "want me to take a run at her?" He opposed.  Erin thought about it, "you can try, she's had nothing to eat either so maybe get her something..." she smiled weakly.  Hank squeezed her shoulder before heading towards the door.

Gabbys head stayed on the table as the door opened and closed again, "hey gabby, I'm Sargent hank voight, is it okay if we have a quick chat?" Hank sat down whether she liked it or not. The teenagers head shot up at the sound of someone else's voice, "uh, sure..." she sat up straighter.  Hank smiled weakly and said nothing for a few seconds as he scanned the kids face for any sign of doubt of fear, "so, you're friend must really mean a lot to you" hank tapped the table.  Gabby shook her head, "yeah, they must" she kept her eyes on the table, replying with an almost sarcastic tone. 

                   "Why don't you make this easier for yourself? If you tell us the truth you'll walk away uncharged, if you don't do the right thing we're gonna have to charge you which'll stay on your record until the day you die, and you'll most definitely go to juvie" hank shrugged.  Gabby nodded, "it's not gonna make much difference either way, I'm not really bothered about the future" she shrugged.  Hank furrowed his brows, "really? How comes?" He nodded curiously.   She shrugged, not looking at him, "it's just life... whatever happens, happens" she smiled sadly. 

                  "That's not really a positive mindset, gabby" hank folded his arms against his chest.  Gabby nodded, looking up at him through blank eyes, "well it's not really a positive world out there, is it?" She remained still.  Hank watched the kid tuck her knees up onto the chair, "you know we can hold you for 24 hours before charging you, right?" He sighed slightly.  Gabby nodded, "mmhmm, well if you need to do it, just do it. I'm not talking..." she yawned.  Hank slowly began to stand up, "I thought you wanted to go home" he frowned.  Gabby looked away, "yeah well, I don't really care anymore" she shrugged.  

                    "Someone'll be up to take you to holding soon, can I get you anything to eat before they do?" Hank wandered over to the door.  Gabby kept still, "no thanks" she spoke quietly, trying her best to hold back to tears by not looking at him.  Hank smiled sadly before leaving the room, she let out the biggest sigh and placed her head back onto the table. Once she was sure no one could see her, she let the tears silently flow, she just doesn't want to get into trouble anymore...

                 Erin let the frown deepen on her face as hank rejoined her in the viewing room, "she's solid, kid won't budge" he sighed.  Erin shook her head, "this doesn't feel right" she rubbed her forehead.  Hank looked over at his adoptive daughters face, "in what way?" He folded his arms.  Erin shook her head, "it's like the first time I hid something from you, I was covering for my mom, she's doing the same thing. You know, it seems a little bitter sweet" she sighed heavily.   Hank nodded, "you think she's covering for her mom too?" He enquired curiously.  Erin shrugged hesitantly, "I don't know, but she's covering for someone that isn't this friend, that much I do know..." she smiled sadly.  Hank nodded, hmmmm...

☟︎