The minute the door to the bedroom was closed, Carly placed her hands on Deanna's shoulders and stood on her tiptoes, capturing the older girl's lips in her own. Deanna was taken aback, but quickly caught on.

"You're good at that," she whispered when the kiss broke. Carly giggled and hopped onto the bed, laying on her back and staring up at the ceiling. Deanna changed into a big t-shirt and sleep shorts and joined Carly on the bed.

Legs entwined, hearts beating, chests rising and falling; both girls fell asleep almost instantly in each other's arms.
.
.
.
.
.
.
. Minutes later
.
.
.
.
.
.

A scream pierced through the silent air, jolting Deanna out of her slumber. The older girl bolted upwards, darting her eyes around the room and trying to figure out what was going on. The trembling figure beside her quickly made her realize.

"Carly," Deanna whispered, shaking Carly's shoulder to try and wake her up. It was no use. Unsure of what else to do, Deanna pulled Carly's sleeping body into her lap. As soon as she did, the smaller girl began flailing violently, punching her fists into Deanna's chest.

"Hey, hey, shhh," Deanna said softly, hugging Carly against her chest and ignoring the punches that were being thrown at her. Moments later, a gasp was emitted from the younger girl's mouth and her body stilled. Realizing where she was, Carly burst into tears and buried her head in Deanna's neck.

"Please..." Carly's small voice cracked. "Please, Bad Things" she shook her head and clung to the material of Deanna's shirt.

"I've got you, Carly," Deanna whispered, stroking the smaller girl's hair. "I'll keep you safe."

"Promise?" Carly looked up at Deanma, who reached out and wiped her eyes with the pad of her thumbs before locking their pinkies together.

"Promise."

Carly sighed heavily and laid her head on Deanna's shoulder. The older girl shivered at the feeling of Carly's warm breath against her neck, giving her goosebumps.

"Sing?" Carly whispered, looking up at Deanna with a glimmer of hope in her eyes.

🎶"I remember tears streaming down your face when I said "I'll never let you go"

When all those shadows almost killed your light

I remember you said "don't leave me here alone"

But all that's dead and gone and passed tonight

Just close your eyes, the sun is going down

You'll be alright, no one can hurt you now

Come morning light, you and I'll be safe and sound.

Don't you dare look out your window, darling everything's on fire

The war outside our door keeps raging on

Hold onto this lullaby even when the music's gone, gone

Just close your eyes, the sun is going down

You'll be alright, no one can hurt you now

Come morning light, you and I'll be safe and sound

Just close your eyes, you'll be alright

Come morning light, you and I'll be safe and s-," 🎶

Deanna paused when she heard a faint rumbling noise downstairs. Carly lifted her head, wondering why the older girl had suddenly grown quiet.

"Didi?" she whispered.