And the Carly she knew in high school was completely different than the Carly who had shown up at their apartment two days ago. Dare she say it, Deanna wanted to get to know the new Carly. She continued to push the thought to the back of her mind, cursing herself for even thinking of being nice to the girl.

She'd been staring at her ceiling for over an hour when a flicker of light brought her out of her thoughts. She sat up quickly, staring at the crack in the door. "Wha...?" she yawned, running a hand through her messy hair and narrowing her eyes to try and see who was there.

The door creaked open slightly and a small figure entered the room. She should've known. Carly.

"What do you want?" Deanna sighed. When she didn't get a response, she rolled over on her side and reached to turn on the small lamp next to her bed. Her heart jumped when she turned back over and could finally see the smaller girl.

Carly's hair was still in the same bun from earlier that day, but half of it was falling out on one side of her face. Small pieces of hair were sticking to her forehead, which was glistening with a thin layer of sweat. The small girl was visibly upset, Deanna could tell by the pained look in her eyes and the irregular speed of her breathing.

"What's wrong?" Deanna asked, tilting her head to the side and sitting up in her bed. Carly tilted her head the same way Deanna had.

"Didi?" Carly whispered, taking the tiniest of steps forward and hugging the t-shirt close to her chest.

Deanna chose to ignore the nickname the girl had given her. It was actually kind of cute. Kind of. But barley. Deanna actually hated it... no she didn't. "Yeah?"

Carly took a deep breath and glanced nervously around the room, as if she were afraid of someone watching them. "Are you my friend?" There was a pleading tone in her voice, and Deanna could tell Carly was on the verge of some sort of breakdown.

Letting her hands drop to her sides in defeat, Deanna sighed heavily. "Yes, I'm your friend," she nodded slowly, suddenly feeling glad that she'd said those words. Carly's face lit up for a second, but she quickly remembered why she was here and her expression quickly faltered.

"Promise?" Carly mumbled, her voice barley a whisper. Her anxiousness was killing Deanna, so Deanna quickly held out her pinky in front of Carly.

"Promise," she nodded once. Carly sighed in relief, slowly reaching out and interlocked their pinkies. Deanna felt how warm Carly's hands were and only grew more concerned. "Now what's wrong?" she asked, adopting a softer tone and patting the spot on the bed next to her.

Carly looked surprised by Deanna's sudden change in character, but if she was, the smaller girl didn't question it. She practically jumped on the bed next to Deanna, landing on her knees and quickly tucking her feet under her. She glanced around the room once more.

The small girl leaned in close to Deanna, as if she were telling her a secret. "There are bad things here," she whispered, before drawing her face away from Deanna and quickly scanning the room to see if anyone had heard them.

"Bad things?" Deanna questioned, growing even more concerned than she already was. Carly took her bottom lip in-between her teeth and nodded quickly. "What bad things?"

Carly shook her head violently and squeezed her eyes shut, practically making the entire bed shake. Deanna quickly reached out and grabbed the girl's shoulders to try and still her. Carly's eyes shot open and she almost flinched backwards, but she realized who the hands belonged to and remained still.

"There's no bad things here," Deanna motioned around the room. "See? It's just my bedroom. I sleep in here every night." Carly took a deep breath. Deanna slowly drew her hands back from Carly's shoulders and the smaller girl looked around nervously.