Part 9

They had gone to a club. Zee had left Samah momentarily, saying she would get another drink. She had been already drunk. But she hadn't come back. Samah had started looking for her when she found her. Several meters away was a car crash on the road. Three people dead. Two guys. One girl. Zee was the girl.

"I'm scared," Samah whispered.

Amima nodded, understanding her fear. At least she thought so. She wiped a tear off her face. "Oh, Zaina, what have you done with your life," she muttered.

"But that's not what's scaring me. Not that she's dead," Samah said. Amima looked up in surprise.

"I'm Muslim, you know. At least I'm supposed to be. And I'm scared I'd end up the same way."

Amima's eyes widened. She froze. "Masha Allah," she whispered.

"But I'm moving next year. To New York. I haven't got a chance to tell Zee, I mean Zaina. Any advice?"

Amima managed a smile. She would tell her what she had told Zaina. Something Zaina had avoided and as a result, met her fate as the person she had become. Sincerity. What Zaina had needed."Stay true to yourself. Y-you don't know---you don't know when the time will come. Just stay sincere. Insha Allah, you will find the right path."

Samah smiled. "I understand. Thank you. You know, I used to be scared of this," she said, pointing. Amima realized she could make out the outline of a cloth on Samah's head.

"Assalamu Alaikum," Samah said hesitantly. She still remembered the Islamic greeting. Amima replied with "Wa Alaikum Assalam". Amima watched as Samah walked away, hijab still on her head. Amima smiled.

"Subhanallah," she whispered to herself. Now all that was left was to deliver the shocking news.

* * *