45. ear to the serpent

Start from the beginning

Poseidon chuckles, pointing his index to the peaceful stream besides us, the only sound being the relaxing flow of water.

My brows furrow as the four of us make our way closer the the edge of the stream. It's quite a lot wider than I would have thought, but I chance a glance into the stream.

My brows furrow when I realize there's nothing there, both Ariel and I turn to Poseidon. "Look closer."

Sighing, I turn back to the stream and look harder. Suddenly, I notice something twitch in the water, the flow is disrupted but the disturbance is gone just as soon as it came.

Poseidon besides us picks out a pebble from the bank and skillfully hurls it into the stream.

The pebble strikes something solid, earning a gasp from Ariel and I. When we look back into the stream, something unbelievable has appeared, a scaley moss green width sporting fins along the sides. It's almost as wide as the stream itself and I curse myself for not having noticed before.

By the time I blink, it's disappeared again but now that I know better I can still almost see it, the body of a serpent hidden in the glossy stream water, foaming at random points.

"This stream-" Poseidon attempts to explain but is interrupted by the bleating of Gary besides me.

He glares at the goat but ignores it and continues. "This stream runs across the whole world and acts as a home to Ceto. We're very close to the head, so I think it's time we lay down a few ground rules, okay? Firstly, no crying." His eyes focus on me when he says that, arching a brow.

My cheeks flame in response, an overwhelming sense of embarrassment encapsulates me. "I think I can handle myself, thank you."

He only grins, the dimples on his cheeks deepening as his eyes glisten in amusement. "I see why Apollo is so taken by you..." he chuckles, shaking his head.

His words only embarrass me further as thoughts of Apollo flood my brain. Everything I've tried to keep tucked away surfaces and my heart sinks with worry.

I wonder if Hermes has managed to get him, and if he's in Olympus being tortured by Zeus and the Titans.

The truth is that my resolve to kill the titans stems from how I feel about him more than anything.

I wonder if that makes me a bad person. I don't care if the world burns to ashes, all I care about is Apollo.

I know it's stupid because he's a god and I'm just a girl, but I want more than anything to protect him. I care about his safety more than I care about my own.

It consumes me.

It terrifies me.

I turn to Poseidon, but he's already looking at me, concern plastered all over his ethereal face as if he can read my thoughts, as if it terrifies him too. He opens his mouth to speak, but before he can say anything, the ground beneath us begins to rumble as Gary mewls in terror as something stirs in the water.

Poseidon pushes us behind him, taking Gary's leash as Ariel and I fall to the ground. My eyes widen in horror as the head of the most vicious, enormous looking serpent I've ever seen rises from the waters, with glowing white eyes and sharp teeth that will continue to haunt me even in my nightmares.

"CETO!" Poseidon shouts, gaining the attention of the beast. He releases to leash on Gary, and by the time I realize why it's too late.

The head dives down at a supernatural speed. "Gary!" I shriek, but Ariel pulls me back, placing a hand over my mouth to shut me up.

Tears well in my eyes as I watch the beast devour my best friend of two days.

"It was either you or him." Ariel whispers in a somewhat comforting tone as Ceto spits out some of Gary's bones.

"Poseidon..." the ground rumbles when she speaks, birds in the sky fly above her head. "What brings you to my domain?"

Poseidon's face hardens, but he remains strong. "I have a question I must ask. A question only you will have an answer to."

Ceto observes him for a moment, almost as if she's deep in thought. "You are aware of the price you must pay for asking me a question?"

My heartbeat quickens at her words as I turn to Ariel, who's brows are furrowed in concentration. "Price? What does she mean price?" Ariel shrugs, but even her nonchalance can't hide the fear in her eyes.

Poseidon clenches his fists. After a few hesitant moments, he nods.

"I won't collect just yet... but hear me sea god, when the time comes, I will fetch what belongs to me. I always do."

Poseidon nods once again, and I could swear I saw a smirk slide onto the serpent's face.

"What is your question?"

"Is there a way to kill the titans?"

***

A/N: thanks for reading. I don't know if you guys have noticed but my version of Ceto is far different than the one typically talked about in Greek mythology. That's because I based her on Jörmungandr from Norse mythology.

What do you guys think? Do you like this version of Ceto?