Life Is A Highway

Sometimes life throws things at you that you aren't quite prepared for, some of them are good and so of them not so much. Your life was going really well until life lurched forward and slammed on the breaks throwing you out of the comfortable life style you had set up. It was not a happy twist to find out that you lived your life in a world that had ghosts and demons and monsters running amuck. But, with that painful truth came another twist in life's great road trip. Sam Winchester.

When you were painfully roused from a lovely dream by a gigantic man you were initially afraid. "What's happening" "Oh no" and "Help" all ran through your head before it started to hurt with intense pain. You then realized your arms were numb from being held up above your head, which was soon relieved as the large man cut the bonds that hung above you.

"Wh-What's happened to me?" you had asked.

"I'll explain everything in a minute, but you need to come with me. I promise I won't hurt you," Something made you trust this man, and so you did follow him. And you followed him further into his line of work as a hunter. At some point in your time as being "colleagues", it became something more. Much more. And that was one of the most wonderful plot twists life had given to you. A fork in the road led you down the right path, because you we so happy with Sam.

But, with the good come the bad. Well as you liked to think about it, not actually bad in this instance. Just different. Very different. After a time sounds and noise began to slip further and further from your grasp. You were going deaf, and couldn't stop it. At first, it broke your heart. You would never be able to hear Sam's laugh, or listen to music with your brother in law Dean, you wouldn't hear your child's first words later in your life. Sam tried to be strong for you, but it hurt him too. He knew you took great pleasure in listening to relaxing music on off days, and dancing to swing music. You wouldn't ever have that again.

When it finally happened, you did in fact cry. It was a very solemn day when you could no longer hear your dear husbands' voice. Things got better though, when Sam came home one day with a book and some DVD's. When you saw the DVD's you were upset at sight of them, you didn't like the idea of reading subtitles as you watched a movie or TV show. It took away from the action in your opinion.

You were surprised to find that they were not in fact pop culture books and movies; they were instructional books and videos to learning American Sign Language. And suddenly this seeming terrible thing didn't seem so terrible anymore. Instead it became fun, learning the new words and new grammar, which you found to be so much easier than English! Sam was a natural at it, Dean however. Well let's just say it was pretty fun to watch him struggled.

"Life is a highway" Rascal Flats. They're right it is. Twists, Turns, Traffic, Crashes, Fender Benders, Stop lights, Green Lights, Yield Signs. Everything on a roadway can be a metaphor for a part of life. Just keep your eyes on the road ahead, but don't forget to enjoy the company of whoever you're driving with. ~Abby

If you want to get involved with the ASL/deaf community you should check out the lovely and kind Ashley Clark Fry on YouTube and Instagram. Her Insta is @Signedwithheart Her friend Laura is professional interpreter that can help you learn too. @theterplife on Instagram. And one last one, also on Instagram you can find this lovely young man learn_a_s_l and he was not born deaf, so he's had to start from the beginning as a young adult. I hope this can help you get started!