And over the years he stole secret glances at her, admiring everything about Brielle.

He was thirteen when he realized that Brielle Castillo was the girl of his dreams who would make him feel even more alive with every smile she gave him.

It was his mother's birthday and they were having a big fiesta in their magical home Casita with what appeared to be the whole village. It was already dark, the stars and the moon were shining down on them as Camilo and Brielle sat on the roof edge of the house.

They weren't even allowed to stay up that late, and certainly not to... drink.

But Brielle did steal some...

She did that often. Stealing well, she was good at it and it were always just little things. And she was never caught. Brielle said it's because the cards were on their side or something like that.

Camilo never really got her thing about 'cards seeing' or whatever it's called. He knew magic he had magic. And what she was trying to accomplishwith this 'open-minded stuff' was not...

But Camilo did like the enthusiasm and pure joy in Brielle's voice when she talked about it, so he listened.

Brielle Castillo stole a lot, but nobody ever seemed to notice.

Nobody but him.

And his hermana Dolores but she noticed, heard and knew everything so...

Well, there Camilo and Brielle were on the top of a roof, drunk and laughing in the moonlight.

"You know, you don't have an attitude problem, like your Abuela says," Brielle had told him that night two years ago on this roof. Her feet hung down on the edge and she twirled one of her thick locks around her fingers. "I mean a little maybe," she added, her lips twitching in a small grin as she turned her gaze to the boy next to her, only to see that he was already staring at her.

Camilo Madrigal absolutely didn't understand himself or his feelings. He and Brielle had been up there for what seemed like hours. He couldn't look away. She was just... She...

Her eyes were the moon, her smiles the stars, and her snarky remarks the dark.

They were best friends and yet there was something in the air like a connection... like...

...sparks fly?

It was pretty confusing to him.

Camilo was sure that only he felt that way when he looked at her soft features, which were clouded by a shadow of the beautiful curls of her hair.

He had realized something.

Her laughter was the reason for most of his smiles.

He finally realized what was up with that weird teasing from Dolores and his prima Mirabel.

"But you're not just the boy with an annoying personality," Brielle continued with a mocking edge to her tone when she noticed that Camilo was busy staring and smiling like an idiot.

She doubted he even noticed he was smiling. But then he finally seemed to return to reality and take up her words.

"What you saying?" he asked, frowning as his fingers played with the rim of his ruana. That strange feeling of nervousness crackled in his fingertips.

"You're a people pleaser," she said in a low voice and leaned forward. "You won't stop until you make everyone smile with your gift. You're actually pretty nice and caring, but try to play it off with this attitude and your cheeky cocky demeanor." Camilo huffed and Brielle grinned. "Gotta admit it's kinda cute, but still."

Camilo choked on air.

She tossed her hair over her shoulders, frowning. "I'm not saying you are wrong to want other people to be happy." Brielle, for some reason, chose to slide a little closer to him and put her hand on his. He looked down before his gaze returned to her face and focused on that gentle smile she wore. "But remember that you haveing fun and that your happiness always comes first. The pressure your Abuela puts on you all is pretty fucked up in my opinion. "

Brielle Castillo did steal a lot of things and one of them was Camilo Madrigal's heart.

"Mira eso," Camilo mumbled in a tone that made Brielle raise an eyebrow in amusement. "Thank you for sharing your wise and drunken thoughts." He made a slight bow with his head. Look at that.

"Anytime," she winked.

"Oh, and don't let Abuela hear that ever!"

Brielle let out a scoff that was dangerously close to a laugh. "You think I'm stupid or what?"

"Un poco." That earned him a slap on the shoulder. "And I think you're the one with a bigger attitude problem" A little.

"Princesa," Brielle cut him off, pouting in a mocking manner.

"Idiota."

They glared at each other before bursting out into laughter.

Her laughter was the reason for that strangely warm feeling in his chest.

"Aww," breathed out Brielle and her fingers brushed one of Camilo's curls from his face. "Eres tan lindo," she muttered, her voice almost inaudible, and with that she lay down on the roof and stared at the dark night sky.You're so cute.

For the briefest moment her hand had brushed the boy's, which sent shivers down his spine.

That night two years ago was special for Camilo... that night...

His stolen glances turned into obvious staring, and yet she didn't notice.

- lexa's wife -