The reptile Room

Montgomery Montgomery looked on his project with satisfaction as the vial that he had been preparing for V.F.D had been complete. He gulped down the sample, and in a second,  his thoughts, vision, surroundings, and vibrations beheld him as clear as day. He was now enhanced with a special chemical extracted from different snakes and combined into one, essentially immunizing him from all sorts of maladies, snakebites and dangerous mushrooms. 

He entered the reptile room to check on his snakes, when Olaf launched himself at Monty with the loaded injector and penetrated him. Monty stumbled as the venom started to course through his veins, and his heartbeat slowed. 

"O-Olaf, what have you done?" Retched out Monty. "Oh, it's fine, Monty, it's not as bad as the bite of a Mamba du Mal, is it?" Sniggered Olaf. 

Monty took a seat at his desk and very subtly took out another dose of the vial. He soon acted like he was collapsing and slowed his heartbeat, a certain technique that all VFD agents had learnt of. 

———————————- 

The volunteer made her way through the tunnels, aimed towards Monty's house. " Spats! Come in!" Said the crackly voice over the walkie-talkie. "I'm on my way to retrieve Monty. Are the baudelaires safely on their way to Josephine?" Asked the volunteer. "Yes, I've looked after it. That sorry excuse of my boss, the Vice President of coins is driving them there. Go to the Cloudy Cliffs Cemetry. He's bound to have recovered by now. Go!" Said the voice as it went radio silent. 

The volunteer emerged from the trapdoor as a gust of wind sprayed mucky water into her raven hair. She spit out water and began to climb the precariously tilted cliff. She had reached an altitude of 50 feet when the rocks below her legs gave way. She hissed as she left the rocks she was holding onto and fell back to open her butterfly wings. 

She flew back up to the edge of the cliff and tried to enter the cemetery when she saw them. 

Them. 

They had burnt down her home when she was a baby and she barely survived because her mom threw her out of a top-story window and attached her own butterfly wings onto her daughter. 

The fire-starters were outside the dismal building, all wearing their red glasses and vampire capes, and burning down the surrounding trees. She decided to fly back down to get into the only other known way. A small little door, the size of a window was cut into the side of the cliff. She flew down there and brushed off some of the dust, and saw the logo. She pushed down on the eye as it moved backward and a hole opening that was just big enough for a spyglass.

She put the spyglass ending inside and turned the dials in the spyglass in the VFD code to "the world is quiet here." There was a small rumbling and the  door opened silently. She followed a steep set of stairs up to the cemetery and saw the coffin. She saw the guards surrounding it and turned her spyglass dials to project her running and making noise. The guards saw the image and started running after her with their own designed spy glasses. 

The volunteer ran and opened the coffin, where there was a seemingly dead body of a man. She  took her spyglass and hit him on the head twice, and once more for good measure. 

Montgomery Montgomery woke up and looked around in a daze, as his eyes landed on the raven haired girl. "We need to go now! " she hissed, as they made their way out of the cemetery and started running away from the fire starters. "Where to now? Are the Baudelaire safe?" Asked Monty. "They are, we need to go to Josephine's house now! It's right there!" Said the volunteer as she helped Monty come over to the door. She knocked vigorously until a very frail dowager came to the door. She screamed at the sight of the volunteer carrying a nearly unconscious Monty. 

"Oh, leave me alone! I quit that organization after my Ike died!" Blubbered Josephine. The volunteer rolled her eyes as she opened the trapdoor under her doormat, which read "Please go away, I am a very forlorn dowager. Under it read Ivan lachrymose prints, courtesy of Valorant Farms Dairy. The Volunteer carried Monty and followed the signs to the mortmain mountains. This is going to be a very lovely trip, she thought. 

"When we grab you by the ankles,

Where our mark is to be made,

You'll soon be doing noble work,
Although you won't be paid.When we drive away in secret,
You'll be a volunteer,
So don't scream when we take you:
The world is quiet here."