One.

There was no doubt that I, Makenna James, am always out of my comfort zone. in my little town of Frankenmuth Michigan, I was always in the shadow of my older cousin, Daniel.  we grew up particularly close, we even lived together, until the seventh grade. That's when Danny met Sam.
they started hanging out and suddenly, I disappeared.
It came to a point where Sam invaded everything.
School, he spent the weekends, he even came to our family reunion once. I even had a recital at Fisher Hall in the tenth grade. I invited Danny. He invited Sam AND both of his brothers. as soon as the stupid group walked into the door, the attention went from me - to Sam and Danny once again. So eventually, I gave up on my dream. what is my dream?
I wanted to play piano and sing. That's all I wanted to do and Sam kiszkas stupid brother's band ruined it.

*text*
Dan Dan : Hey Kenna 🙃 can I ask a favor?
Me: hey Danny... what's up? It's been forever since I've heard from you btw..
Dan Dan: can you meet me today?
Me: sure, you gonna bring Sam?
Dan Dan : no, you want me too?
Me: NO- where are we meeting?
Dan Dan: Zehnders?
Me: gotcha. See you soon Dan :)
Dan Dan: :) see you soon Kenna.

Why would my drum playing, rockstar of a cousin want to see me on a random Tuesday? Especially since he hasn't bothered to call or text in a year and a half.
Why did I agree to see him? fuck it- let's see how this one goes. Before seeing Daniel, I had to see aunt Lori.
I drive across town, about thirty minutes.
*ding dong*
"Oh hiii Kenna." I hear a sweet familiar voice.
"hey, aunt Lori." I say stepping in the vanilla scented house. "I figured I would stop by. I'm on my way to see Danny soon" I look around. Everything exactly like it was when I left.
"oh, he mentioned coming into town for a minute." She said going to the kitchen. "How has my kennabar been, let me look at you." She put her hands around my arms and pushed me back slightly. The biggest smile. "you changed so much, but you are still my little girl. No matter how big ya get you will always be my baby." She grinned. I gave her a smile.
"Thank you aunt Lori." I respond. I gave her a hug.
"I have to meet Danny now but I will come back for dinner, if that's okay" I say.
"Of course, I'll set out your plate" she says. I nod my head and leave the house. I back out of the driveway, heading to Zahnder's to meet Daniel. As I pull up to the building, dread filled my body. Why was I dreading seeing Danny?" I entered the building, I looked around for him.
"Kenna!" I seen Danny's hand shoot up. He looked so much different. His hair was a lot longer, for sure. Are those highlights? He stands up to pull me into a hug.
"Hey Daniel. Long time no see" I say as I sit down.
"How have you been?" he asks .
"I've been fine. I got a commission to do photographs of Main Street." He looked at me and shook his head. "I'm not gonna see Samuel randomly pop up anywhere right?" I ask with a straight face.
"No, I promise" Danny laughs
"so what was the favor?" I state.
"Well... our photographer walked out on us last week and we are about to go on tour.." he says.
"So you want me to go on tour and be your photographer for the year" I finish.
"Exactly- please tell me you will" he says bringing his hands to his face
"That would mean a whole year. Looking at Sam. Yeah... no. I'll pass on that. " I say as his face drops
"Kenna. Please. you don't know how desperate we really are. please give Sam a chance. If you love me, you will do this" he says. I stare at him for a moment.
"Ugh.. fine. But the minute Sam starts his stupid shit- I'm out. Danny do you understand" I say.
"Yes absolutely. " a smile lights up on his face, similar to Aunt Lori's. I couldn't say no to Danny. although, it was pretty shitty of him to text me when he needs me.
Maybe this wouldn't be so bad. "When do we ship out?" I ask.
"Tomorrow." Danny say as he takes a sip of his drink. I shake my head. "So I'm gonna pick you up at six am and drive us to the airport- no Sam will not be in the car with us." He laughs.
"Good, you know how bad I cannot stand him. I can't wait to see the twins again though." I say moving my straw around in my water.
"So taking photos is all I'll be doing?" I ask.
"Well, I was also gonna ask if you still designed costumes. I know you are good at it. Please Kenna bear. Please." He begged.
"Fine, I'll see what I can do Dan Dan." I say with a half assed smile. "Okay. I better go home and pack. Are you going to aunt lori's for dinner?" I ask.
"Yes, she is cooking our favorite-" he says and be fore he could finish his sentence
"BACON MAC-" we say in unison followed by a cackle.
"I remember coming home from school and smelling it- " I say
"For sure and then getting up for seconds" Danny chimes
"Yes." I say as the laughter dies down. "I'm glad I got to see you Danny."
"I'm glad I got to see you too. Thank you so much." He says getting up to hug me. I missed Danny's hugs. They were warm and made me feel at home. we walk out to the street and part ways. walking away I realized that I, Makenna James , was once again out of her comfort zone.