Letting the Cat out of the Bag

Start from the beginning

"Alexander?" I called, knocking.

No answer.

"Alexander?''

Frowning. I tried the door and it op­ened. Peaking in, I found Alexander sitting on the bed with his head in his hands. The room was dark.

"I'm coming in,'' I told him.

Flipping the light switch, I walked and joined Alexander on the bed. I grabbed his hand.

"Do you think they'll kick me out?" Alexander suddenly asked.

"What makes you think that?"  I asked.

"Only vampires live here?"

I leaned against him. "They won't kick you out," I assured him. "You haven't done anything wrong."

He sighed. "Sorry. I know it's dumb to think this way."

"You're anxious, I get it but let's get this over with. We won't know what they'll say until you tell them."

"Alright, let's go."

Hand-in-hand, Alexander and I walked to the dining room. King Rothchester and Violet were ready seated when we wal­ked in.

Alexander hesitated by the door but I pulled him inside.

"It's so nice to have you join us for dinner, Rin," Violet said.

"Sorry about the intrusion."

"None at all. Sit please." She gestured to the empty seats.

Alexander and I sat side beside side. He didn't want to let go of my hand. Dinner was silent. Alexander wasn't eating. I picked up my fork with my left hand and awkwardly stabbed at my food.

Had they noticed Alexander? I peaked at the King. He met my eyes and smiled. I looked away.

"Dad," Alexander began. "I-Rin-"

"Let's talk about it after dinner," the King said.

Did he know? Had Dr. Daniels told him?

"I sent a letter of acceptance to your school," Violet suddenly said to me. "Your int­ernship will be approved tomorrow mo­rning."

"Oh, thank you."

"Glad to have you onboard." King Rothchester said.

"Thanks... sir."

"You don't have to be so formal. We're prac­tically family. Call me Lionel."

Everyone froze. Including me. Was it okay for a stranger to do that? 

"I wouldn't dare," I quickly said.

The King looked a bit hurt. I glanced at Violet and Alexander for help. Alexander didn't look up and Violet focused on her glass. 

"If you say so, King Lionel?" I said.

He chuckled. "That's better."

After finishing dinner, we moved to a room with couches and a large coffee table at the center. together. Alexander grabbed my hand and wouldn't let go as we took a seat.

"You had something to share?" Violet prompt.

Alexander stayed silent. I nudged him. He squeezed his eyes shut.

"I'm human," he blurted out.

Violet and the King frowned.

"I can see that," the King said, "It's nothing new. Our family has been able to
mimic human bodies."

"No, I mean, I'm human-human. I can't shift or drink blood or anything."

King Rothchester suddenly stood in front of Alexander.

"We talked to Dr. Daniels," I told him. "We gave him blood samples. He thinks whoever shot Alexander wasn't to kill him but to use a drug on him. To turn him human."

King Rothchester pulled Alexander into a hug. It was only then that he released my hand.

"Are you okay?" Lionel asked Alexander.

Alexander's shoulders shook. I looked away, feeling myself tear up. Violet grabbed my arm and lead me out of the room.

"They need a moment," she said.

Arm-in-arm, Violet and I walked down a hallway.

"When did it start?" she asked

"Today."

"I did think it was strange Prince Alexander hadn't come in today."

"What now?'' I asked. "We don't know how long it'll last or whether it's permanent or not."

She squeezed my arm.

"I'll help whenever," I added. "The bidd­ing event is super important and we can't let anyone else know vampires can be turned into humans."

Violet growled. Startled, I looked at her. Not once had she ever lost her composure. This time it was different.

"We'll hunt them down," she said. "We've come too far to let this nameless assassin destroy what we have built."

"Are there any leads?"

She looked surprised to see me like she forgot I was there.

"We'll handle it," she assured me. "How about you go home?"

"Oh," I said gestured behind me. "I wanted to say goodbye."

"The prince will see you out," she said.

"Okay."

Trevor appeared and I was escorted back to the study room. Violet went back to the King and Alexander.

Gathering my stuff, I couldn't help but feel disappointed. King Lionel and Alexander needed privacy but I also wanted to know what I could do to help. What was going to happen now?

As I was heading out Alexander met me at the door. Wordlessly, he grabbed my backpack and walked me to the exit.

"You okay? "I asked.

He smiled. "Yeah," he said, hoarsely.

We stopped at the front door. I grabbed took my backpack from him.

"Will I see you tomorrow?" I asked.

"I can't drop by anymore," he said. "No powers. I don't think I can manage to sneak through your window."

"I meant at school," I said. "I do have an internship now too. We work together."

"Right," he said. "That's what you meant."

I frowned. Why did he say it like that?

"Well, I'm leaving," I said.

"Goodnight."

He stood there without moving. I pushed Alexander against the wall and kissed him. I stepped back.

"I said I was leaving," I told him.

His shoulders sagged. "Goodnight, Rin," he said with a little more feeling.

I felt a little guilty. So asking him again wouldn't help. I also couldn't do anything about it either, at least not yet.

"Don't worry too much. Your family and I care about you  whether you're human or vampire, okay?"

He nodded. "I know, it's just- "he trailed off.

"Get some sleep okay?"

This time I kissed him on the cheek. "I'll see you tomorrow."

I waved and stepped out. Joseph waited in the car outside. I al­most forgot he was here.

"Take me home, please?"

"Sure thing."

As we drove away I called my parents to let them know I was on my back.

While Violet hadn't said anything, I didn't want to sit back and do nothing. with any luck, I knew one person who might have still connections to an extremist group.