A Selfish Decision

Beginne am Anfang

"Really? That's the first time I got that," Maria said. If Maria was being completely honest, she didn't know much about her mother or father. She knew she was from Wall Sina but leaving home at such a young age didn't give her time to wonder about her mother's past.

"My father had blonde hair and my brother, people never saw us as being related-"

"I don't mean Harris, I know what he looks like."

Maria was confused, to say the least. However, she didn't mind too much. She disregarded it as a mistake on her behalf.

"Mrs. Dietrich, I am sorry for being so upfront but-"

"Please call me Layla."

"Alright, well Layla," Maria calmed down a little. She was in a rush to ask questions but she had forgotten to whom she was speaking to. It took her a few seconds to get her composure back. Taking a quick look at her surroundings. Again, it was a peaceful scenery.

"I'm here, because I wanted to ask you if you knew something about the Flaherty family."

"The family died when William Flaherty decided to marry a whore and have a bastard Ackerman child with her," Layla simply says. Still entranced by the embroidery of her new blanket.

"I think her name was Irene, something along those lines."

"Well, if they wanted to save the family, why not accept the child?"

A moment of silence passed. Layla was deep in thought, thinking very clearly about words to say. She looks up from side to side as if she was afraid someone would hear them.

"Royal blood and Ackerman blood cannot mix," she says. "You should know that by now, Amelia."

"My name is Maria."

"I still can't believe Daniel fell in love with that whore as well," Layla grabbed the blanket with hate. Her fingers dug deeply into the fabric. "It was a hard decision, but I had to do it. I had to tell the King."

Maria was afraid to learn something she didn't want to know. But she was far too deep to step away now. After all, another part of her felt like Nicholas wanted her to know something. The book he left her behind was enough proof and although it didn't make much sense to her, maybe having more knowledge will help her decipher it.

"What did you tell him?"

"You already know," Layla says, looking at Maria for a few seconds. She indeed looked like Elise. "I had to tell him where the bastard was."

Finally, some answers. If what Layla was saying was true, then Maria came to the conclusion that Nicholas was that bastard child she talked about. It also made sense that the King would go after him. As Kenny had told Levi, the Ackermans used to be persecuted by the King but the reasoning behind that was still a mystery.

"But why, why is it so wrong for an Ackerman and someone of royal blood to have a child?"

"You know why Amelia," Layla says again. She just wanted to end the conversation. "Besides, we can't talk about that here."

.

.

.

"So, no luck with my mother?"

"No, but I learned my mother and yours used to know each other."

They were on their way to meet Mr. Dietrich. Of course, they had to get a special request from Dhalis Zachary to see him. Cedric was surprised to know that Maria has some sort of friendship with Zachary and it was easy for her to get permission. Of course, it helped that the Queen also gave Maria her blessing.