18. This Medicine Can Force An Alpha Into Heat

Start from the beginning

Yu Hong explained, "Empress mother is worried that you will compete with me for the throne, so she joined hands with Meng Changzhou to send an assassin pretending to be a mountain bandit, to assassinate you."

"By the time I found out about this, you had already returned to Jiang Du."

Yu Hong sighed and muttered, "I was afraid you would find out. I was afraid that once you got wind of it, you would think that it was done on my orders. Although it was indeed Empress mother who schemed your assasination, there were too many interrelated pieces, too many to even explain clearly."

Yu Yan asked, "Then why are you willing to tell me now?"

Yu Hong looked into Yu Yan's eyes, answering warmly, "Because I don't want to lie to Imperial brother again. You are right. For you to believe in me, I need to show my sincerity towards you."

Yu Yan sneered and tugged at the rope binding his wrist. "Is this your sincerity towards me?"

"This...If Imperial brother agrees not to escape, and patiently listens to my explanation, I will agree to release Imperial brother."

Without even thinking about it, Yu Yan said, "I won't run away. Release me."

Yu Hong: "......"

"Look, you obviously don't believe me."

"Sure enough, I can never win over Imperial brother." Yu Hong chuckled, without the slightest irritation in his eyes. Instead, he had a gaze that radiated sincerity. "But this is good. You are my imperial brother whom I have always admired, always liked. I really...really like it very much."

These words were what he frequently used to say to Yu Yan, but Yu Yan had never taken them to heart.

Yet at this moment, Yu Yan looked at the other's eyes, as if suddenly understanding the deep meaning behind his words.

An unspeakable feeling of discomfort spread from the bottom of his heart.

"You..." Yu Yan's voice was dry as he looked at him in disbelief.

Yu Hong reached out to hold Yu Yan's wrist, and gently rubbed the part tied up by the rope. "Imperial brother wanted me to tell you the truth. Now that I told you, why don't you believe it?"

Yu Yan had never been so disgusted with another person's touch. He brushed his hand away. "You are crazy. I am your imperial brother!"

The rough rope grazed his fingertips. A tingling pain spread across.

Yu Hong's eyes darkened.

The atmosphere in the room suddenly became a bit heavy.

After a long while, Yu Hong whispered, "...But what if you're not?"

Yu Yan still hadn't recovered from the shock just now. He didn't hear Yu Hong's words clearly. "What are you talking about?"

"That's right. That woman has killed everyone who knows the truth. It's normal for Imperial brother to not know anything." Yu Hong's voice was very soft, as if talking to himself. "More than ten years ago, Duke Zhenbei's youngest master, also a blood brother to the previous empress, captured and overwhelmed a common woman, causing her to lose her life."

"...Does Imperial brother know about this?"

More than ten years ago, Yu Yan was still very young and the Great Yan's imperial family was corrupt. It was not uncommon for relatives of royalty to snatch people's daughters in Jiang Du. He had no impression of this.

But from Yu Hong's words, Yu Yan vaguely guessed something.

Yu Yan: "That woman..."

"After the woman was snatched and taken, she became pregnant. She wanted to die, but was imprisoned by Duke Zhenbei's family. To be precise, she was imprisoned by the Empress." Yu Hong closed his eyes. "The Empress had adopted you to be by her side, retaining her position as the lady of the harem, but yet could not retain the heart of the Yan Emperor. She needed a child. A child who was her own flesh and blood."