Chapter 32: Common Ground

Start from the beginning

"Unfortunately not. That guy is really as icy as his skin color suggests." the officer replied. "Honestly, we've already tried to ask him about the super-weapon, but he hasn't been as cooperative as in other cases."

"Wait, he actually gave up information?" Darvos asked surprised.

"Positions of a few imperial shipyards and supply hubs, but no matter how much our agents poke him, we can't make him spill the bigger beans."

"Well, then maybe it's time to change approach." Jaral commented.

"You...you're not talking about torture, I hope." the Colonel said worried.

"Relax, Colonel. I wouldn't sink so low. I simply think that you guys never had the chance to fight him, while I did. It won't be easy, but I think I can trick him into revealing something."

Pandolfi just raised his arms. "Then allow me to wish you the best of luck, ma'am, because you're gonna need it."

"There is no such thing as luck, Colonel." Jaral replied with a tone reminiscent of her old Master.

Pandolfi wasn't sure if being confused or admired regarding such confidence from that young woman, but he wasn't up to him to discuss.

"Very well. Visoni!" he then ordered to a soldier in armor waiting next to the door.

The soldier stepped forward and snapped at attention. "Commands!"

"Escort our guests to meet the Grand Admiral."

"Yes, sir. Please, follow, gentlemen." the soldier replied before turning toward the door.

While Darvos remained in the building to assist from afar and record the upcoming meeting, Jaral and Jordan were accompanied onto an APC that then drove into the fortified gate of the villa, which was guarded by fully armed soldiers and had barbed wire, low-intensity electric fences and security mechs patrolling, plus guard dogs.

The soldiers had particular badges on their armors, signaling that they were part of the military police, the Carabinieri.

After a compulsory check on their IDs, Jaral and her father were allowed inside the village.

Thrawn's lodging was right in the middle of it, surrounded by another group of guards and, Jaral was told, sensors that would detect immediately if he got outside of the courtyard's fence

Thrawn's lodging was right in the middle of it, surrounded by another group of guards and, Jaral was told, sensors that would detect immediately if he got outside of the courtyard's fence. The Grand Admiral was forced to wear a bracelet that signaled his position and worked only when detecting heartbeats, so he couldn't possibly remove it without the guards being notified.

"They really don't go easy on security." Jaral commented, impressed.

"They have to keep Thrawn..." Jordan quipped.

"Good point. Let's go." she concluded.

The gate of the fence was opened and one of the soldiers escorted the two at the door, opening it with his badge.