Chapter 8: A Beloved Sinner

With how everything turned out, Danny, through his inner fits of anger at his own miserable fate, managed to keep a straight face. How was he to know that Pariah was a multiversal celebrity? And now his very own existence hinged on the actions of a tiny spirit girl, who, one must point out, looked no less shaken than he was. The matters took a turn for the worse with how Danny kept his anger under the calm facade. It was all visible and it's meaning mistaken for rage at her for finding it all out. And her own behaviour in turn implied that Pariah was not known here for giving flowers to stray kittens, why would they even need those? The silence was deafening, lasting for a good minute until Danny finally spoke up.

"Pudding."

He didn't know why he blurted it out. Perhaps it was a carefully conveyed swear word that would make a sailor blush. But nonetheless, it accomplished its job splendidly, snapping Beatrice out of her frightened stupor.

"You... all this time you've been Pariah?!"

"You are supposed to say 'all this time' after you have known me for longer than an hour," Danny pointed out and sighed, "No, I am not Pariah."

"Don't you think of lying! I know what I saw, in fact!" Beatrice pointed a finger at him.

"Do I look like him?" Danny asked tiredly, "Certainly you have a picture."

"Pariah is known to be able to change his appearance. This time it is a wimpy adolescent."

"Harsh. Wait, he could do that?"

"Yes, and from what brother told me, you can do that."

"That's more truthful than I would like. Listen, I am not him, okay? I am Danny Phantom, the one who killed him and accidentally took his role."

"Things like that don't happen 'accidentally'!"

"They did, Betty. I learned of his existence the day he came to my home and began killing everyone around. I didn't exactly had the time to do my homework and learn of the implications of killing him."

"He is Pariah Dark himself, you speak of him like he is a small fry a weakling like you can kill."

Phantom's eyes glowed, "Why, I am glad that you stopped accusing me of being that bastard. Listen here, Betty. Let us sit down and I will explain it all. Think of it as our little deal, I only ask that you keep quiet about this."

"And if I refuse?"

"I don't wish to harm anyone. So I guess I will have to hope for your silence and common sense."

"Explain it all. Now."

"She is so demanding," Danny moaned, "Very well," he summoned a chair of green energy and sat on it, right in front of the spirit, "Do I get the tea? No? Alright, where should I begin. You probably know that Pariah was imprisoned long ago in that sarcophagus of his. He had been in that condition for centuries, until my godfather came along. He was a power-hungry bastard, and with the king asleep, he figured that he would be able to steal his artefacts of power and become the all-powerful creature. For all his bravado of being the master of his fate and the one controlling the chess pieces, his decision was one of the dumbest I've seen. Honestly, did he expect the awakened king to hand the crown over?"

"Cut to the chase already."

"I just want you to understand, Betty, that none of this is my fault. It's just that people think I killed Pariah because I wanted power for myself. So I try to justify myself. I look pathetic, I know. Nevertheless, long story short, I had to face the king because he came and decided to begin his conquest of the world. I had to face him, and somehow I won. That's... basically the gist of it. I am not him, and I don't want to harm anyone."