chapter 20

willows pov:

"hey, come in."

maggie opened the door and pulled me into a tight hug. it was billies birthday today and i just arrived.

"hi maggie."

"everyone else is outside."

i smiled and nodded at maggie and made my way to the garden. it was pretty warm for a day in december and good to sit outside.

i was really nervous. my shaky hands were sweaty and the bag that i held almost slipped through my fingers. inside the bag was my present for billie. it's honestly nothing super creative or expensive or anything, i just walked by a shop and thought she might like it.

as i walked outside the first thing i saw was billie getting run over by a hyperactive shark. everybody else, who sat on the grass or at the table in the middle of the lawn, was laughing loudly.

billie sat up, a grumpy look on her face.

"billie, what happened?"

maggie asked, who was standing behind me with her hand on my shoulder.

"shar- will, you're here."

billie jumped onto her feet and ran over to me, a big smile on her lips.

i stumbled back a bit when billie hugged me and laughed.

"hi to you, too. happy birthday."

i said as i slung my arms around her.

"thank you."

billie mumbled into my neck. after she pulled away she grabbed my hand and lead me to the others.

"okay, everybody..."

she waited until everyones attention was on her.

"this is will."

i gave a small wave and smiled shyly. i'm extremely shy around a lot of new people but if i warm up to them i can get really crazy sometimes.

"so... you already know zoe, fin and claudia. oh- and my parents. and this is drew and this laura."

everybody smiled friendly at me and said hi. they all seemed really nice already.

we then all sat down and i took a seat between billie and drew. we ate the vegan gluten free cheesecake that apparently billie had made. it was surprisingly really good.

i talked with drew a little bit and i think there wasn't a purer soul than her. she was so nice and really great to talk to. claudia joined our conversation too and we ended up somehow talking about how we should go to the beach together some time and have a little girls trip.

the whole time i caught myself glancing at billie and sometimes she was already looking at me, which made me blush.

at around 5 laura and drew had to leave. it made me a little bit sad that i didn't even got a chance to talk to laura but i guess next time.

after they left we all moved inside because it was getting kinda cold and also dark.

we decided to watch a movie and since it was billies birthday she got to say which one. of course she had to choose a horror movie, the babadook.

i hated horror movies.

fucking awful. why would you watch that voluntarily?

finneas and claudia sat on the floor and leaned their backs against the couch while billie, zoe and i sat on top of it. billies parents still cleaned up the kitchen.