Chapter 6

What a birthday it's been so far. Never in my life did I think I would spend my 21st with the frontman of an internationally successful band. I guess it just so happened that Alex came along with such a title.

The whole drive back down to the festival grounds I feel fluttery from the kiss. At the same time, I don't want to feel this way. In just a few days, I'll be on a plane back to the UK while Alex and the band continue on with their tour for who knows how many more months. Maybe it'll be another two years before I see him again.

I pull into the lot and stay sitting in my car. I feel stressed and overwhelmed and maybe for a minute, I regret coming this far and going through all of this with Alex. It seems like I'm only setting myself up to get hurt.

My phone pings, one after another-- it's Georgia. Are you HERE? We're all waiting at our spot from yesterday.

Just parked. On my way, I reply. I feel hesitant to leave my car, but I remember-- I'm here for business.

The crowd seems bigger today, maybe because it's a Saturday. I weave in and out through clusters of people, all sweaty bodies and the stench of pot and alcohol.

"There you are! Happy birthday!!" Kasey runs up and hugs me tightly.

"Where are Fletcher and Hartford?" I ask.

"Oh, they went to scope out the sets. You left so early this morning-- sorry for not saying happy birthday sooner. Oh, and here," she hands me a small box with a little gold ribbon.

"Kas, you didn't have to get me anything! You set this whole thing up with the rental house and plans... that's all I needed," I fiddle with the small box in my hands.

"Kara, hush. It's from all of us. Just open it."

I struggle with untying the knot of the little glittery bow, but once it unravels, I open the lid and pull out a folded sheet of paper.

"You couldn't have just put this in an envelope?" I wave the tightly folded paper around.

"Presentation is everything. I bet you didn't think it was gonna be that. Anyways, c'mon read it!"

My eyes scan over it and I can't even be sure as to what I'm reading. They're tickets. Or rather-- confirmations-- of complimentary guest list passes to the Talson talk show in LA on which Arctic Monkeys will be performing on Monday night.

"Kasey... what!? How did you get these so fast? How... did you get on the guest list?"

"I may have had a little help. Georgia I guess got on well with that drummer, Matt. Since we were talking about the possibility of going to the talk shows she brought it up again while you n' Alex were outside. Apparently, he ran it by Alex last night and they took care of everything this morning. We're gonna see Jeremy Talson!"

A few more days with Alex, huh? Part of me really thought this festival would be the last setting I see him in, but now it's certainly not the case. I'll just have to make the absolute most out of it. Wait-- that also means he knew all about this at breakfast, too? He seems to be pretty good with surprises.

"Wow, Kasey. Thank you... so much. I can't say I've ever seen one of these shows taped before, so that'll be new!"

"It was all up to Georgia and the guys. But hey, we get to tag along, too, so it's kind of a gift for all us," Kasey laughs.

"Alex didn't say anything about this at breakfast."

Georgia walks up when she hears her name. "Well good... we told him not to. We wanted to see the look on your face!"