Chapter 6 - Fate Is A Cruel Master

Start from the beginning

With those thoughts hammering through my mind, I shoved the thick blankets off my legs and crawled out of my bed as if it were on fire. I stumbled a few feet, my head spinning wildly, but clear purpose rang through my brain, and I didn't fall. Clambering as quietly as possible through the dark to the closet on the other side of the room, I changed into my traveling clothes and shoved my feet into my boots.

Putting on my clothes felt like it took an eternity as I stopped to listen for sounds of approaching footsteps outside my door, but once I was finally done, I shoved everything I thought I might need into my rucksack and slung it over my shoulder. Waltzing out the front door to the stables to get one of the horses was out of the question—Ayan probably suspected something was a little off, and he and Bohai wouldn't just stand by while I fled.

My room, however, was located on the ground floor. The thought had barely crossed my mind before I leapt into action, crossing the room and throwing the window open. Cold air struck me full in the face, and as I slung my leg over the windowsill, I stopped to think about what I was doing for the first time.

Tears flooded my eyes, and I turned to look back at my room, hesitating. I had told Kotaro that I would wait for him to discuss what our next move would be, and the thought of breaking that promise flooded my heart with painful guilt. I didn't want to go and leave him behind, but how could I stay when my presence promised such damnation for his future?

As I hesitated, a gentle breeze touched my face as if beckoning me to come outside, and I knew that this was the only way. Biting down on my lower lip, I drew a deep breath and listened to the wind rustling through the grass outside my window. It almost sounded like someone was out there moving around, and a hint of peace tugged at the edge of my heart, because I didn't feel so alone anymore.

Clambering awkwardly the rest of the way out the window, I didn't let myself stop to think anymore as my feet hit the ground. I had to put as much distance between myself and Azrul's castle as possible before morning, or all of this would be for nothing. The thought that I had no provisions for my long trek and absolutely no idea where I was going to go other than a vague notion briefly crossed my mind, but I shoved it aside. I would figure all of that out somehow. I had to.

"And where do you think you're going?" Ayan's voice made me stop in my tracks barely a dozen steps away from my window, and my blood ran cold.

If he knew where I was, then Kotaro...I didn't turn around, and my mind raced through what options I had at the moment. Running wouldn't solve anything, but standing here and waiting for him to alert Kotaro to my plans didn't sound very pleasant, either. Perhaps, though, I could try to talk my way out of this...my mind grabbed hold of the idea, and I drew a quick breath to form the courage to put it into motion.

"My room was a little stuffy." I turned toward the sound of his voice. "I thought I might go for a walk to get some air."

It was a stretch. Ayan was a veritable genius when it came to seeing through deception—likely from dealing with people like Kotaro for so many years. However, it was dark, and my face was shrouded in shadows which made my chances of success a little higher...if I managed to keep on my toes, that is.

"With that pack on your back?' Panic welled within me at the sound of Martimus' voice. There was no way I could come out of this on top now.

"Of course, there's no way she'd be leaving in the middle of the night on her own without a plan or any resources to find the Eighth against the advice of almost everyone around her." Ayan snorted softly, his voice thick with sarcasm, and my throat was suddenly dry. "She must just want to get an extra workout since she hasn't been able to exercise in so long. Wouldn't you agree, Bohai?"