Chapter 6 - Fate Is A Cruel Master

"You are not a monster." I'd heard the words before. I'd spoken them. "Don't convince yourself otherwise."

It was Kotaro, and horror paralyzed me as I realized my fingers were wrapped around the hilt of a knife which was protruding from his chest. I'd been the one to put it there, and I was leaning so close, I could fear his rugged breath hitting my cheeks.

"I know you're seeing this, and I want you to know I don't regret it." His blood, warm and sticky, oozed over my fingers. "I still want to follow you—even if this is how it end."

He smiled, and deep in my soul, I knew he could see me. He saw into me—to the scared dreamer lying terror-gripped on a bed in the castle of the Third. His words were meant for me to hear now.

Dream Me's grip tightened around the blade, trying desperately to maintain control of myself and the situation. Rather than voicing the obvious pain he felt at my increased pressure, Kotaro smiled, and I could clearly see his beautiful features as he reached up and touched my cheek lovingly. With a wordless yell, I slapped his hand away.

"Why won't you stop?" I screamed, ripping the blade free. "Just die! I am not this Bree. I am Seer!" There was uncertainty in my voice as if I were trying to convince myself that the words I'd spoken were true.

"It's okay." He murmured, blood frothing at his lips and coating his teeth. "It's okay." His eyes began to drift shut. "I'm so happy." The words were barely above a whisper as his life slipped from his body.

Sobs shook my entire body, and my eyes stared unseeing into the darkness of my room. What was wrong with me that such apparitions were the only things I ever saw when I closed my eyes? What was wrong with the world that there could be no good visions—that Kotaro's and my future had to be coated in our blood?

The door swung open quickly, and I sucked in a breath, trying to mask my weeping as Ayan's features were illuminated by the golden light of the lamp in his hand. His gaze darted around the room before landing on me again, and there was pity in their depths as he took another step toward me.

"Are you okay?" He said softly.

The grip around my throat loosened. "Yes." I breathed.

"Another nightmare?" I didn't deserve his kindness. "Do you want me to get Kotaro? He's still talking with Azrul, but I'm sure he wouldn't mind having a reason to—"

"No!" I said too quickly.

His eyes widened slightly in surprise. "Do you want me to stay with you then?"

"I have to go." The words came out in a tight, unbidden whisper.

"What?" He frowned, leaning nearer.

"I said: you can go." I attempted to smile at him. "I'll be fine. It was just a dream."

I laid back down and nodded reassuringly. He had to leave, so that I could run from this place. They would never allow it if they knew, but I couldn't let any of them get further entangled in my ugly fate, so I would run from them and pray that it was enough to keep them alive.

"All right." He said slowly, taking a step backwards and half closing the door as he went. "Bree," he said my name so suddenly and firmly that I half believed he'd read what was going through my mind. "If you need anything else, just call." The corner of his lips lifted in a half grin, but there was sadness in the shadows of his expression, and then he was gone.

My heartbeat pounded urgently in my chest as I held my breath until I reached the count of ten to be sure he wasn't coming back. My thoughts spun around my head in the silence, but they all came back to one thing: I needed to get up and go. I had to find the illusive Eighth who seemed to hold answers to questions I'd been asking since the very start. They were my last hope to be able to hold back whatever devil was lurking beneath my consciousness that would mean Kotaro's death by my hand.