iii

As soon as I reached home, Redbottom started yelling at me. I'm thankful that she didn't kick me today. I went back to my room and placed my guitar near the head board. I took out a small box from under the bed, which stored all my photos, guitar picks and other meaningful things. As I was going through each one of them, I saw a photo of me, Harrison and Grace which we took at the hospital. I secretly got it printed in school during recess. 

I brushed through the photo and could feel tears forming in my eyes and questions running through my head.
Why? Why was he so rude to me? Why did I feel safe with them? Why am I treated so badly? Why am I still alive if i'm going through so much pain only to face it more?

My thoughts and sobs were interrupted when someone knocked--correction banged on my door. "Riley open the fucking door. You're getting adopted"

Haz's POV

After talking with her, I couldn't leave Riley in the orphanage anymore. It wasn't until later that I realized how I acted towards her. Talking to Grace, I understood that she has been through so much. There you go, Harrison you had to do that, especially to her (note the sarcasm). 

I sat there frustrated until someone rung the bell. I got up and went to the door which was opened by Grace. "Hey Tom, Crescent" I heard her say to my best mate and his sister. Crescent walked to the couch where I was seated and noticed I was frustrated. "Ostrich is everything alright?" she asked me. I just nodded indicating I was fine, but when Tom came, he started pestering me with a lot of questions until I could take it no more. 

"Its obviously not nothing, Haz. I have known you for thirty years." he said. "I found her Tom" I whispered. His face softened and I continued when Grace took Crescent for a walk. "She is the girl that day from the hospital. She tried to end her life that day. Suffering for 14 years. All because I gave up on finding her." I could feel the anger boil inside me. 

"Hey hey mate its not ur fault" he said, placing his and on my should in a comforting way. And that is when I lost it. "OF COURSE IT IS MY FAULT, THOMAS! AVA STOLE HER. IF I HADN'T LEFT THE HOSPITAL THAT GODDAMN NIGHT, SHE WOULDN'T HAVE TRIED TO KILL HERSELF! AND YOU SAY IT IS NOT MY FUCKING FAULT!!" 

As tears rolled down my face, Grace and Crescent came in. Grace said something to Tom and then he went home with crescent. I could bear it anymore. "Haz I think we should adopt her" Grace said. I looked up at her and gave her an 'are you sure' look to which she nodded. Ok here it is. I'm adopting my own daughter.

It was late at night, but we didn't care. We reached the orphanage and it was very old. When we entered, we were greeted by a woman in her 40's. Seeing me, her eyes lit up. Another fan. When she asked for a picture, I agreed. 

When I asked her about Riley, she gave me a questioning look "You mean Riley the 14 year old itself right?" she asked and I nodded. What she told next infuriated me to the maximum. "I'm sorry but I personally can't send her. Even if I did, you would return her in a few days." She spoke about my daughter like she was an object. I almost screamed at her before Grace stopped me.

"That is fine we would like to adopt her" she said.