02 • judging criteria

Start from the beginning

Vocabulary/Grammar/Spelling (/20) -- now, how is the writing style? Are there too many grammar errors? Does the author need a bigger and better vocabulary? How is the spelling? Or, is the author writing with precision and doesn't make grammar errors?

Enjoyment (/10) -- this is where your own opinion of the book really comes through. How did you enjoy the book, personally?

Overall Impression (/20) -- what was your overall impression of the book? Was it better than you expected? Do you think it still needs a lot of work? Would you recommend it to other people? Rate this out of twenty.
(this is your long review).

Total (/100) -- add up all the marks from above and tally it up to get one mark.

Judging Criteria for Poetry

Cover (/10) -- you're going to be judging the books by their covers; the mark is out of ten.

Title (/10) -- does the title go well with the poem? Mark this out of ten as well.

Writing Style/Tone/Rhyme Scheme (/20) -- not all poems rhyme, but the ones that do, do they? How well does the poem flow? What emotions do you get from it.

Creativity/Originality (/10) -- how original is the poem? Have you read the same type of poem somewhere else? Is the poem cliche, or is it a poem made completely fresh?

Vocabulary/Grammar/Spelling (/20) -- now, how is the writing style? Are there too many grammar errors? Does the author need a bigger and better vocabulary? How is the spelling? Or, is the author writing with precision and doesn't make grammar errors?

Enjoyment (/10) -- this is where your own opinion of the book really comes through. How did you enjoy the book, personally?

Overall Impression (/20) -- what was your overall impression of the book? Was it better than you expected? Do you think it still needs a lot of work? Would you recommend it to other people? Rate this out of twenty.
(this is your long review)

Total (/100) -- add up all the marks from above and tally it up to get one mark.

[ short + long review ]

(this goes for the stories and poetries)

As I stated above, you will give each criteria a short review, and then give a longer review for the entire book at the end.

When writing short reviews, your short paragraph should only be focused on one thing: the criteria you're talking about.

So, it could be cover, title, or originality. In other words, you'll have seven short reviews (poetries) or nine short reviews (stories) according to what you're judging.

For example; "I rate the cover a 3.5/5 because although some parts of it sets the same mood as the story, I believe that the title could have been in a different font to fit the genre. For example, the genre is horror, so perhaps the title could have been in bold, scary letters.

(This is just an example). But this is how short reviews should be like (maybe, shorter, I don't mind). They should focus on one criteria (cover, title, enjoyment, etc).

But no matter what category you're judging, every judge should have one long review, and this review is basically wrapping everything up. The long review is your overall impression of the entire book.

This review should include:

a brief summary of what the book is about.

what you thought about the book in total.

the areas of strengths in the book (basically, where the writer did really good).

the areas of weaknesses in the book (basically, where the writer still needs work).

check out the description for overall impression written above. it explains more.

*** if you want/need to read more chapters than just five in order to judge, then go right ahead. Just make sure to hand in your reviews before the due date.

Please, hand in your reviews in this exact format, otherwise, it will not be accepted.

Please Note : results should NOT be sent as a comment or posted on my message board, otherwise, they will not be accessed. Private message me the results only.

Judging should begin immediately after the judges have received their assigned books.

If you don't have five books assigned to you yet, but new forms aren't coming in, then just judge the book(s) you have so far.

Judges, make sure you give reviews with content, and not reviews such as "nice book" or "I think this story needs some work."

Go into detail.

Every reviews must have the area of strengths of the book and the area of weaknesses.