Heaven's Debt

"What are you doing here? Haven't you done enough? This is all your fault!" Fox Queen Bai Qian said bitterly, almost yelling, unmindful that she was addressing Donghua Dijun, the Supreme God of the Universe as she confronted him on the steps leading to the entry into the Fox Cavern. The other people around her were trying to calm her down aghast at the disrespect that she was showing towards the most revered God in the Universe. However, as Bai Qian had just come from the chamber where Jiu'er was and found her niece hallucinating and delirious with pain from having cut off one of her tails, she was in no mood to be calm or diplomatic in her dealings with him. Bai Qian was not quite sure of the exact details of what had happened as she hadn't talked to Si Ming yet who was the one who brought the Princess home but she knew it had something to do with the old God.  Bai Qian had been shocked when she heard from Zhe Yan that Jiu'er had cut off one of her tails.  Her niece can be impulsive but she knew that Jiu'er would never do something as foolish as what she just did if it was not in some way connected to Donghua Dijun.  The fact that Donghua was here right now asking to see Jiu'er only confirmed her suspicion. She didn't care who he was, she was not going to let her in to see her beloved niece and further hurt her.

Donghua remained silent, his normal, placid face in place although his insides were a turmoil of emotions. He was worried about Jiu'er, the most precious person in his life.  Bai Qian was now  blocking his access to her and as much as he wanted to he could not even get angry at her. Because however much she was angry at him, it could not compare to how angry he was at himself for letting the yearnings of his heart override the dictates of his reason. He knew that he had no fate line with Jiu'er, that they were never going to be destined to end up together but he had not push her away. In fact, if he was honest with himself, he had in certain instances, even sought her out and drawn her to him. He didn't know if what he felt for her was love as he has never love anyone before in the millions of years that he has existed but he had never been so happy as when she was beside him and he could not resist the joy that rose in him whenever she was near.  When they were apart, he felt a visceral emptiness within him that could not explain and so, he let her stay in his life despite his mind warning himself again and again.  Now, it was too late, because of his weakness for her, his arrogance that he could keep everything under control, she had hurt herself, hurt herself for him, in a hopeless bid to remain at his side, believing that her love could move the Fates.   He would never forget the sorrow he felt when he saw her kneeling before the Rocks crying uncontrollably as she tried to change their fate.  His heart hurting just as much as hers did.

 "How is she?" he finally whispered, an uncharacteristic tinge of anxiety in his voice, as if he could not bear not knowing how she was.  The moment he got back to his villa after handing Jiu'er to Si Ming, he had started to second guess himself, regretting the decision to hand over her care to someone else.  He should have chosen differently, however foolish the alternative decision would have been and whatever consequence it might have resulted in, he should never have let Si Ming take her back to Qingqiu.  He should have taken care of her himself.       

"She's delirious. She's in pain but she's refusing to drink the medicine that I've prescribed for her." It was High God Zhe Yan, the God of Medicine, who answered him before Bai Qian could continue her diatribe.  He had just come out of the Fox Cavern wanting to discuss with Bai Qian the next step to take when he saw Donghua Dijun being confronted by her.  Bai Qian,  Zhe Yan and many others were all worried about Jiu'er but apparently not as worried as Dijun was based on the frantic widening of his normally calm eyes when he heard how Jiu'er was.   Zhe Yan who was one of the few Immortals who have known Donghua for a long time could clearly see the anguish that the latter was trying to hide, the tension in his body palpable.   He wasn't privy to the relationship between them but he knew seeing the state Dijun was in and hearing the cries of Jiu'er asking for him that it ran deep, much deeper than any of them could probably ever imagine.  He knew at this point, only Dijun would probably calm her down and as it was clear from Donghua's countenance that he was not leaving without seeing her, he knew they had no choice but to let him in despite Bai Qian's refusal.