Of Misunderstandings and Jealousy

"Dijun, may I speak with you for a moment?"  Xiao Bai asked in a subdued voice as she stood on the threshold of his villa, the basket of flat peaches in her hands.  Donghua, who had just returned from dealing with Miao Luo a few moments before, looked at her downcast face and frowned.  

"What can I do for you?"  Donghua said casually, fixing the cuff of his sleeves as he glanced at her from the corner of his eye.  He knew what was bothering her judging by the way she was gripping the handle of the basket.  She was probably in a snit that she did not get the Pimpon fruit as promised.  But since it was just some fruits, he knew she'll get over it soon.

"I'm just here to return this.  I believe this is yours."  she said thrusting the basket at him resisting the urge to throw it in his face.  When he did not reach for it, she let it drop to the ground.  "You probably wanted to amuse yourself with me again.  I hope you're happy."  Xiao Bai said bitterly as she turned away.  She had wanted to confront him, wanted to rail at him for giving her the flat peaches instead of the Pimpon fruit which she knew she won fair and square but looking at his nonchalant face, she couldn't muster the energy to be angry.  She just felt oddly deflated, her heart constricting painfully.  She should have known that this would happen.  She had let her guard down with him thinking that he had genuinely wanted to help her win the fruit but he never intended to let her have it, he had been planning to give it to Ji Heng from the start.  She has always been an afterthought for him and suddenly she was just tired and sad and didn't want to think about it anymore.  She had more important things to think about.   As she started to walk away worriedly thinking of how she would get the Pimpon fruit now as she really needed it soon, he materialized in front of her blocking her way.  She tried to sidestep him but he blocked her again.  "What do you want now? Isn't it enough what you did?" Xiao Bai wondered why he was preventing her from leaving.  Did he want to see her further humiliated?  Her heart was hurting so much now and she could feel her eyes watering.  She immediately looked down, not trusting herself to look at him anymore, afraid she will break down and cry. 

Donghua lifted her chin with his hands to look at her face and was surprised to see a sheen of tears in her eyes.  He didn't expect her to be that affected by what happened.  "Xiao Bai, what's wrong with you? Why are you crying? It was just some fruit."  She jerked her face away from his hands and moved back shooting him a poisonous glare.

"Of course, it's nothing to you.  Even though you knew how hard I worked for it, you still decided to play with me!  Why did you even help me in the first place?    I know I'm nothing to you but you didn't have to treat me like this." Xiao Bai burst out, so furious with him for making her think that he would help her get the fruit and, also, if she was being honest with herself,  she was also frustrated with herself, for letting herself believe that he cared for her even a little .  "If I hadn't needed it to save Qing Ti, I..." Xiao Bai immediately clamped down on her tirade knowing that she had inadvertently revealed why she wanted the Pimpon fruit.  "Anyway, I need to go as I still have something to do."  she sidestepped him again so she can leave.

Donghua narrowed his eyes wondering who Qing Ti was.  So she didn't need the Pimpon fruit for Yan Chiwu but for someone else.  Apparently, someone important to her or else she wouldn't be this agitated.  "Who's Qing Ti?"  he asked feeling apprehensive learning about this other person who was important to her.  Xiao Bai ignored his question and continued to walk away.  Donghua flicked his fingers and immediately Xiao Bai was dragged back to him.  Xiao Bai glared at him refusing speak.  "Why do you need the Pimpon fruit to save him, who is he?"  Donghua asked softly.  He heard from Liansong before that one of the uses of Pimpon fruit was to revive someone.   Xiao Bai merely crossed her arms in front of her still refusing to say a word.

"I'm sorry Xiao Bai.  I didn't know you needed it to save someone.  I thought you just wanted it to make pastries for Yan Chiwu and I didn't like that."  he said before he realized what he had just revealed to her.