And so, Selene Grey disappeared for a month. Callie threw herself into her work to avoid thinking about what her sister was enduring, while Adonis and Asteria flew around in the yard, unsuspecting to the darkness that was spreading over the Wizarding World.

A few weeks into the summer, Selene Apparated into the outskirts of Grey Manor, panting heavily. Asteria, flying high above the turrets, caught a glimpse of her sister and immediately flew down. With wide eyes filled with hysteria, Selene ran to her younger sister and enveloped her in a hug.

"He doesn't want me," she cried, not processing that it was Asteria she was embracing and not Callie. "He's set on marrying her, and I can't just sit there and watch anymore!"

Asteria clutched her sister, "Who.. Lucius?"

It was at that that Selene withdrew and realized she was hugging a much younger, blonde girl. "Oh, Asteria! I didn't even realize - wait, how did you know?"

Asteria simply sent her sister a knowing smile, waving her off. "Where have you been?"

Selene didn't answer, merely strutting through the front gates of the manor. "Is Callie here?"

"Yeah, she's in the study," Asteria answered, following after her sister. "Seriously, Selene, where have you been?"

Once again, the older girl didn't answer, merely yelling her sister's name, the sound echoing throughout the empty halls. Eventually, both Callie and Adonis made their way down to the entrance, surprised to see Selene standing there. She had been gone for weeks at that point, without even a letter to update anyone about her wellbeing. Without a second thought, Callie rushed to her twin and wrapped her in a hug - and they simply stood there, for what seemed like hours, Adonis and Asteria awkwardly looking on.

"How're Mother and Father?" Callie asked softly, pulling back. Selene scrunched up her nose.

"They're fine, the Da-" Selene cut herself off, looking at Asteria. "They're in his favor. As am I, which is why I was allowed to come here, if only for a day."

Callie nodded, continuing their conversation in hushed tones as they walked up the stairs and disappeared out of sight. Asteria exchanged a look with Adonis, before rushing up after the twins.

"Selene, wait!" she yelled, catching up to the two. "You disappear for a month, without telling anyone where you go, and now you come back and - Merlin, I've been worried! We've all been worried! Where'd you go?"

Finally, Selene slowed her pace, turning around to look at her younger sister. There was a turmoil of emotions on her face, in her eyes, as she debated whether Asteria was too young to be exposed to the inner workings of the world. She thought it would be safer to keep her hidden away, to hide the news of a man who was quickly gathering an army to wage a war that would be remembered for decades. To hide the fact that their parents were involved, amongst the man's highest ranks. But perhaps it would be better for Asteria to know, so that she could be better prepared. With a wordless glance at Callie, in which the twins reached a conclusion, Selene sighed and grimly smiled.

"We need to talk," she said, and with a flurry of her robes disappeared into the study. Confused but intrigued, Asteria followed, Adonis trailing behind with fear barely concealed in his eyes.

"Mother and Father strictly forbade me from talking to either of you about this," Selene started, sitting behind the desk where Perseus sat. Her posture was straight, and there was no sign of joy about her. Asteria took a moment to study her sister deeper; the twinkle in her eye, the one that showed that Selene had a hint of mischief despite her being a Slytherin, had dulled. It was no question that Selene was beautiful, but now, Asteria could barely recognize her sister. Dark bags had appeared under her eyes, as if she hadn't slept in days. Her skin was taut, blemishes appearing all over, frown wrinkles clear on her forehead. Selene's usual, bouncy curls were matted, thrown up in a messy ponytail with loose tendrils framing her face. Her skin had paled, despite the harsh sun that was beating down all summer long. Her choice of clothes, all black, only emphasized her pale skin; though it had been tan mere months prior.