Chapter 6: Dinner

Start from the beginning

You definitely felt your face burn red at this.

"No way am I revealing that in front of you guys!"

They all protested rather profusely.

"You have to tell us! We promise we'll only mildly resent you if we don't like the answer," Nat said.

"So reassuring Nat, thanks." After the cries for an answer didn't subside, you leaned back in your chair and sighed again."Fiiine, but don't get mad at me if you don't like what you hear."

"Can't make any promises," Tony said, "and before you make your announcement just remember who pays for everything, makes everyone look cooler, and gave you a room."

You rolled your eyes before answering.

"Ok, so there are many more characters that come in later. And I love them, and you guys, all relatively equally. However, yes, I have had a favorite since the first Avengers. Before I say who it is though, I will also say that they are now practically tied with another person for favorite, so I kinda have two. My favorite Avenger was always..." you paused for dramatic effect, "Cap."

The next few minutes were quite hilarious, with everyone grilling you for liking the "fossil", as Tony put it, over a "genius billionaire playboy philanthropist." Steve had blushed slightly at the attention, but he was used to fans anyway so he just laughed along and nodded his head towards you, "I'm honored," he said.

"Yes, well you should be. It takes a lot to make it to the top of my list."

"Who is the other?" Clint asked.

"Desperate to make it up there are we?" Tony asked him. "It's ok, we know your ego took a hit when Nat beat you out in a popularity contest, we won't hold it against you if you need a little validation."

"I didn't try to bribe my way into her favorite spot just a minute ago," he retorted.

"Wanda," you said without hesitation. There were a few more groans from those who had held out hope that they were the second, but you were preoccupied by the fact that Wanda was not here, something you hadn't picked up on til now. And Vision, who you had noticed in the room when you first entered, was no longer around. "Speaking of, where is she? And Vision?"

The room grew quiet.

"I thought you knew everything?" Tony challenged, breaking the silence. "Vision doesn't eat, so he could be wandering anywhere."

"Oh yeah, forgot about that. And Wanda?"

It was Steve who spoke for the team this time, "You know what happened in Sokovia. She's still adjusting."

Oh you thought that's a nice way of putting it. The poor girl.

You quickly changed the subject. Tired of answering everyone else's questions, you threw your own at them for a change.

"So Nat, tell me...After 70 years of no practice...how bad was Cap at kissing?"

The room exploded at that point. Apparently the rest of the gang hadn't known about Nat and Steve's kiss.

You smiled at your handiwork and silently stood, sneaking away to bring your dish to the sink.

You leaned against the counter watching the still tumultuous discussion being held at the table. You smiled at the scene and thought to yourself This! This is what I am here for. This is what I'm protecting. Nat looked over her shoulder and gave you a threatening look as if to say "I'm gonna get you for this." You just smirked back at her and returned to the table. As you sat down you finally tuned in to what was being said.

"It was nothing! And it wasn't that bad," Steve was saying.

"Not according to Natasha," you chimed in.

You couldn't help but laugh at Steve's glare. The others continued to laugh.

"Wren, we're gonna need to have a nice long talk later," Tony said, walking over to pat you on the back, "I have a feeling there's so much you have to say."

"You might not be so happy when you hear what I have to say about you."

"You're bluffing," Tony said.

You raised an eyebrow at him, "You wanna test that theory?"

Tony gave a little scoff and stormed over to the bar. "You," he said, pointing directly at you, "are a handful. I might just throw you back in a portal."

"Wouldn't be the dumbest thing you've done," you retorted.

The table laughed some more, to which Tony responded with "Alright, that's it. Bedtime missy."

You were honestly tired so you stood up with a snarky "Yes father."

"You're seriously just going to listen to him?" Nat asked.

"I'm tired anyway, and Tony might drink himself to death if I stay. So goodnight everyone."

"Don't forget to hug your favorite person goodnight!" Sam practically shouted.

"I know better than to interfere with Natasha's men."

Steve gave you a look as the table broke into laughter again.

"Sorry" you mouthed, heading past him and down the hall to the elevator.

Once in the elevator you allowed yourself to slump against the wall. You had had a great night, but every time you stopped to think about what was happening your mind threatened to explode. The doors opened and you pushed yourself off the wall, trudging along towards your bedroom. As you passed the door just before your own, you thought you heard voices. Being the nosy butt that you were, you paused to listen. You thought you heard Wanda's voice.

This must be her room. Sweet, I'm next-door neighbors with one of my favorite characters.

The voice changed to what you knew was Vision. You moved slightly closer to the door, sticking your ear out to try and hear what they were saying. One line reached your ears.

"But what is grief, if not love persevering?"

Your hand shot to your mouth and you froze for a second. Vision's laughter at the sitcom on the screen broke you from your trance. You quietly rushed to your door, feeling horrible for eavesdropping on such an intimate moment. However, you couldn't wipe the smile off of your face. You quickly brushed your teeth and climbed in bed, turning off the lamp next to you. You stared at the ceiling trying to comprehend the rollercoaster of a day you had had. You know you should have been puzzling over honest questions like how and why the portal had opened, how events were going to go from here, and whether or not you'd be able to succeed. But all that was in your head was the conversation between Wanda and Vision, the last part of which you had had the amazing privilege of hearing. No matter what the answers to the other more pressing questions were, you were too happy to worry. You drifted off to sleep with the thought of Wanda and Vision, the image of them smiling at each other on her bed frozen in your mind.