Chapter 5: Settling In

Start from the beginning

You continued for a while, explaining the emotional and mental struggles Loki had gone through, even daring to grab from the Loki TV series as proof. You addressed his epiphany where he admits he doesn't enjoy hurting people, but feels he has to. It's part of the illusion. The cruel, elaborate trick conjured by the weak to inspire fear. A desperate play for control. You explained how he died in Infinity War, finally doing the right thing only to get his neck snapped. He had finally accepted that he could be more than just mischief. All it took was motivating words from his brother. No matter how far he fell, Thor never stopped loving him. It just took Loki a while to accept that.

"So," you started your conclusion, "I know he did bad things to Thor, which, had I not come here, he would have practically mended in Ragnarok. But, he helped Thor out before he "died." And his attack on New York was in the height of his emotional distress, not to mention it was Thanos who told him to do it. I highly doubt he asked nicely, if ya know what I mean. And I told you how his father was once he got back, even if Loki deserved the anger. He literally told him his birthright was to die, as he was a runt cast out in the cold. Like, I feel Odin's disgust and how upset he is and don't hold it against him for finally lashing out, but still he messed up there.

He is good. I've seen it in the future, and I've wished for nothing but the chance for him to have been able to live after admitting he can be good. I know that if given the chance, he can be a hero. You honestly would all get along with him, he's so funny. If I can fix everything, and get it so that he and all of you live, then who knows how great things could be? I know I'm jumping ahead a bit by saying I envision him as a member of the team, but I've had nothing but free time and no life on my hands back at home, so I've thought of years down the line when y'all have slowly grown to trust him."

"Even if you're right, it doesn't change the fact that the character arc you witness in Loki isn't finished here yet. He's still very much a threat. Not even two years ago he faked his own death," Nat said.

"Yes, after saving Thor," you challenged right back.

"Be that as it may," Vision said, "He is still in the transition from the angry and distressed Loki in this Dark World to the Loki that Thor reaches in Ragnarok. Therefore, he must be considered hostile until proven otherwise."

"I agree," you said, receiving surprised looks. Apparently, you arguing with the Avengers was becoming common enough that it was now shocking when you agreed.

"I'm sorry, did you all just hear what I heard?" Tony teased, putting his hand to his heart as if he couldn't believe it.

"Yes, Tony, I agree. I can't forget that part of what I enjoy about Loki is that he is a mischievous little scam. And incredibly lethal. Not only that, but the emotional issues I have discussed also make it hard for him to trust anyone. He's been burned too many times to just easily listen to someone. His first instinct is to make himself appear tougher than he is, which usually ends in a trick or show of strength. In short, just letting my guard down around him and expecting him to believe my story is risky. Believing that you all won't kill him on sight is also gonna be hard for him to do."

"Smart on his part," Clint said.

"Listen, I know it won't be easy. And, I also know that you guys may never trust him enough to let him in, no matter how many years pass. But I need you guys to promise that you won't try to kill him."

Steve spoke before anyone had the chance to, "You have our word."

"Now, hang on a second," Clint and Tony both started, but Cap cut them short, "If we're going to trust Wren, we need to do so fully. If she's here to save lives, we can't pick and choose who. Her intel is the best chance we have against this Thanos. If learning to get along with Loki is the price we have to pay, then we pay it. Otherwise, some of us may not be around long enough to regret not listening to her."