Well Deserved Rest

Start from the beginning

"I don't know, maybe if I was still in the Shadow Temple and Sacred Realm?" This close Link can reach the end of his hair and decides to grab for it, pulling the long braid over to him and working the tie out. "I told you the longer I'm out of there the harder it gets to remember the time between the Hero's journey and now." He gets the braid out and starts running his fingers through Sheik's hair, feeling him relax under the gentle touch.

"How did Ruto die?"

"Ganon, after restarting the Hero of Time's journey, to stop him. Apparently the Sage's, us, tried vanishing him to a different realm. He broke free and killed Ruto. According to Daruina he was eventually defeated by the hero named the Hero of Twilight, a few decades later." That seemed like another entire journey they would take too long to learn about so he didn't ask. Not that Sheik would probably know much considering what he's been saying. "I don't like not remembering."

"I know." It seemed like a major difference between them. Link didn't care if he didn't remember his failure and Sheik seemed desperately bothered by forgetting the smallest detail. "But maybe it's better to forget some things, especially ones that would probably haunt you. Otherwise it would be a lot for you to remember, thousands of years, and Sheik--that is a heavy burden to carry." Fingers tangled in Sheik's hair he settles for pushing himself up and placing a kiss below the others ear. "I am here for you."

He heard Sheik hum as he pushed himself back until he was leaning more into Link's hands. "I know." At this point the braid was completely out and Link was just playing with Sheik's hair, working the knots out of it and massaging his head.

"We should take the day off today, we're nearly complete with everything and I spent about half the day sleeping already anyway. It won't hurt anything to spend the rest of today together." Honestly he was just looking for an excuse to spend more time with Sheik, though he probably should take some time off to recover his strength before rushing at another Divine Beast. Since they've teamed up together Link has made more progress than when he was on his own. If he was honest it felt like he was making good time now too. Link hadn't even heard Zelda lately asking him to hurry.

"Hmm... I did promise to show you a few things. Just so you stop breaking your weapons like sticks. We should do that before you take Ganon on. Though actually, in those last few fights, you were doing better." He pulls his head from Link's hands and turns to face him. "How did you learn to use the Master Sword so quickly?"

Oh... well, they should probably have this conversation eventually. Link nervously licked his lips and looked the other in the eyes. "I went back to the Korok Forest, after we got the Master Sword. I talked with the Deku Tree and they helped guide me back to the Hero of Time's grave." Sheik's expression was neutral which made it incredibly hard for Link to tell what he was thinking. "I used the Master Sword to talk and interact with him. Apparently it can act as a direct connection between us."

"That makes sense, it is tied to every hero before that has used it." He wondered if that meant he could talk to other heroes or if he'd need to find their graves too. If so it was probably unlikely. The Hero of Time seemed like the exception considering how close he was to the Kokiri. Did any of the Korok remember him? The Deku Tree never seemed to die and lose his memory, was it the same for them? "So he taught you some things?"

"He told me his story, from his perspective, and I asked him... about you." This definitely did not surprise Sheik, but thankfully he didn't seem angry at Link either. If only he could actually tell what the other was thinking. Reaching over Sheik's shoulder he dragged the long blonde locks over to him once more and started practicing braiding it as he continued to speak. "He told me he thought of you as a friend but he thought you didn't consider him the same." Undoing the sloppy braid he made he started over. "And he asked me what I thought of you." His gaze flickers up to Sheik's. "I told him I liked you."