25.

Carter
Same day

"Anything else you need done before I go, mama?" I called out as I plopped down onto the front room's couch.

"Nope."

"That's all I need, baby." She spoke softly to me as she walked in from the kitchen, making her way to her chair across from me.

"Thanks again for everything. Mama genuinely appreciates it." She went on and I nodded slowly, watching her.

I watched as she moved slowly and sat down across from me. I couldn't help but to smile, I'd missed my mama. It'd been a while since I came over to see her so I was making sure she was good with everything.

Taking the trash out, washing the dishes, checking the mail, simple things she couldn't necessarily getting around to doing on her own most days.

She was getting older and I just wanted to be there for her. Anytime I could, of course.

"How are you though, baby?"

"Fill me in on everything."

"I know we talked a little over the phone but how's school? How's work?"

"Is everything alright?" She went on asking everything at once and I took a deep breath, thinking about what exactly I wanted to tell her.

"Same old, same old, ma. Everything's aight."

"I'm keeping my head in the books, trying to be a better me and keeping myself busy with work." I rubbed a hand down my face, thinking about the booking I had in an hour.

"Well, that's great, son. I'm really happy for you."

"Did the dean ever confirm you for valedictorian for graduation?" She went on asking as I thought back to my meeting with the dean.

"Nah.." I shook my head, telling her truthfully.

"He told me it's too early to tell but it's looking good for right now. I just have to keep doing what I'm doing, keeping my head in the books and keeping my grades up."

"I hope so though." I admitted her and she smiled at me warmly.

"You will, you're my son." She pointed to herself, making me smirk as I looked down.

"You can do anything you put your mind to, baby. I've seen you do it."

"Yeah.." I trailed off, enjoying her praise as the room fell into a comfortably silence.

"Oh and how about your space? Did you close on it yet?"

"Is it finally yours?" She broke the silence, making me look up and I shook my head.

"Almost."

"Nothing is finalized yet but I'm working on it, ma."

"It's just taking some time, they said it should be a few more months until I can sign the papers." I admitted and she nodded in agreement, obviously happy as she held her warm smile on her face.

"Well, how about you show mama some of those pictures you're taking, I would love to see some."

"You told me you would show me when you came over." She went on saying and I smirked to myself, nodding.

"Oh yeah."

"Let me see if I have some in my phone.." I trailed off, scrolling my phone to see if I had any pictures left in my phone.

I didn't usually save pictures from business bookings in my phone but I figured I still had a few from Kai's and K's shoots that I could show her. Just to give her an idea of how Ferrow and I were making our money.