Captain Lord

September 13th, 1877 - January 24th, 1962

He is a Virgo

I am not doing this chapter to disrespect Captain Lord or the crew of the Californian as I don't believe any of them were terrible people deserving of harsh treatment. So if you hate Lord or any of the crew members, probably don't even read this chapter. I'm not going to vilify them.

Captain Stanley Phillip Lord was the captain of the SS Californian, the ship that was nearest to the RMS Titanic on the night she sunk on April 15th, 1912, and by some sources, likely the only ship to see the Titanic, or at least it's rockets during the sinking.

Lord was born in Bolton, Lancashire, England and was the youngest of 6 surviving sons, a younger seventh brother having died at the age of 7. Lord married Mabel Henrietta Tutton on March 19th. 1907 and they had a son: Stanley Tutton Lord (August 15th, 1908 - December 1st, 1994). Lord was a teetotaler.

Before The Sinking:
On April 5th, 1912, Lord commanded the SS Californian on a voyage from London for Boston, Massachusetts.

April 14th-15th, 1912:
On April 14th, Lord saw ice ahead while on the bridge of his vessel and personally ordered hard-a-port to effect a starboard turn while turning to port. The Californian came to rest at the edge of a impenetrable ice-field that seemed that seemed to have stretched at least 30 miles from north to south, and which other shipping had warned about for days. It was Lord's first experience with field ice so he elected to maintain minimum steam and wait for daylight, a wisdom later described by Captain James Henry Moore (captain of the Mount Temple) as the 'usual thing' to do on encountering ice. It was 10:21 PM.

Before turning in for the night, Lord ordered the wireless operator, Cyril Evans, to warn other ship's in the area about the ice. When reaching the Titanic, Evans tapped out "I say old man, we are stopped and surrounded by ice." The Californian was so close to the Titanic that the message was very loud in the ears of Jack Phillips. Jack replied "Keep out! Shut up! I am working (I.e communicating with) Cape Race." Evans listened in for a while longer while Phillips sent routine traffic through the Cape Race relaying station before finally turning in for bed at around 11:30 PM.