Chapter 8: Battle of Sepphoris

Author's note at xxx recommended soundtrack: Halo 2 OST Remix - "Follow (Moa Remix)" [By: UncookedMoa]

Kion splashed water into his face to ease the intense heat afflicting him. Fortunately for the young King and his army, they did not want for water. The great springs of Sepphoris lay before them, a massive oasis nearly the size of a lake blessed the otherwise arid countryside of the northeastern portion of the County of Edessa.

The rich-blue water glittered like a gemstone and blessed the desert with an island of greenery. Just beyond the vegetation lay miles of rock and sand, including red mountains.

Despite this, Kion felt his nerves tighten up as he gazed out at the barren expanse and pictures the Army of Outremer struggling to escape through it. At least until he nearly jumped when more icy-cold water crashed into the side of his face.

"Gaah! Really, Bunga?" Kion growled. However, to his disbelief, it wasn't Bunga who splashed him, but Kopa. The Templar grandmaster chuckled alongside a few of his knights and the Lion Guard, particularly Bunga.

"Who says Templars can't have any fun?" Bunga laughed.

"You have, on multiple occasions." Kopa corrected, nearly making Bunga look nervous before the Templar turned back to Kion, who didn't look amused.

"Lighten up, Kion. It doesn't do your army well to see their King so anxious."

"He's right, Kion. We got the drop on Radcliffe this time!" Beshte proclaimed as he emphasized their army's camp resting around the Springs. So far, the Arrière-ban was going much better than last time. Over twenty-five thousand men arrived to form the feudal army, including their new Genoese Crossbowmen. However, three thousand of these fighting men came from King William's crusader forces.

Kopa placed a hand on Kion's shoulder and gave him a more serious look.

"You're thinking about the Litani again. Get that out of your mind. You've more than repented for it by now. Focus on this battle, now one that's already happened."

Kion tightened his fist and nodded.

"Oui, come on, let's inspect the troops." Kion said with a much greater sense of motivation.

"Allons-y!" Bunga declared. Kopa's smile returned as he and his Senechal, Dakari, walked beside the King and his Lion Guard throughout the camp. However, whatever confidence Kion gained from the Templar grandmaster faded when he saw most of the common soldiers and knights seemed more interested in the King of Sicily, who similarly moved about.

"Fear not. God is with us! We'll crush these Sonn like my brave knights, and I crushed the Lombards just this year!!" Kion saw the awe and wonder in his soldiers' eyes as they listened to William.

Fuli and the others saw doubt and self-consciousness in Kion's expression, but William beat them to the punch and noticed his cousin's son as he walked by.

"Ahh, there he is! The Lion of France!" William made his way through the crowd and seized Kion before almost lifting him up with his immense Norman strength.

"Here's the man who'll lead us to victory!!!" Kion received a less than enthusiastic response, as many knights, turcopoles, and soldiers before him fought at Litani or heard what happened. Kopa and the others' expressions hardened slightly. They knew what kind of leader their King was, and if only they could show the others.

Later that day, Kion stood with William, Kopa, the highest-ranked nobles in the army, and his Guard as they looked out from beyond their encampment to the Sonn's across the desert plains.