Part Thirty-One: Crashing Waves Of Freedom

Start from the beginning

"How's your head?" I asked, reaching up and rubbing my thumb over the healed cut gently. The boy took my hand and brought it down to his lips, giving it a soft kiss.

"It's better, and my hair recovered too." He said and that made me laugh.

"Yes because I was so worried about your hair." I joked and he scoffed.

"Yeah, it took some real damage!" Minho said and I laughed at him.

"And Newt?"

"He can walk like he always has, his limp still there but he's been used to that for a very long time so I don't think it's much different." Minho informed and I nodded my understanding.

"And Thomas, what happened to him?" I asked and Minho sighed, obviously going back.

"He was shot when he was getting the cure. We patched him up and he woke up a day or two after everything." Minho informed and I felt this guilt run through me.

"He was there because of me..." I started but Minho shook his head, shushing me.

"And I am enternally grateful for that." He said and I nodded in agreement, realizing that I couldn't feel bad because he saved my life.

I looked down to my arm and saw no black veins, only my skin was a deeper color from where they once were. I couldn't stop staring at the permanent reminder of what happened to me at the Last City, but Minho came across and kissed me passionately. He then cane over close to my ear.

"They're battle scars." He whispered, backing up and kissing me again. "Pretty badass battle scars if you ask me."

I tried smiling, but I felt the tears filling my eyes after going back and remembering the last thing that happened before passing out. I remembered Teresa, the soft smile across her face as she plummeted down into the clouds of deadly smoke and flames. She smiled.

She was a good person, thinking she was doing the right thing even though she wasn't. WICKED twisted her mind, made her think that what they were doing was saving the world. But in the end, she did save someone, she saved me and she saved Thomas and anyone who got the Flare. She did the unthinkable, she found the cure that no one thought existed. She was a good person in the end, a good person with good intentions but did it the wrong way.

"Hey, look at me." Minho said, lifting my head. "She died to save everyone. I may still find it hard to forgive her, but I am in debt to her."

"I love you." I said and the boy engulfed me in a warm embrace that we held for a long time.

A week. It had been a week that I had been out and I missed a lot. We made it to the Safe Haven, we all did, and it was more beautiful then I could have ever imagined. Minho helped me to walk out of the medical tent so that I could admire it all.

The moment I walked out of the tent, my feet dug into the soft white sand of a beach. The waves crashed and the cool sea breeze brushed against my color filled skin. It was a cool morning and I was wearing soft grey sweatpants and a black t-shirt. My hair flowed down my shoulders and blew in the cold wind as I looked out to the rest of the camp.

The morning sun gave light to the small civilization that was filled with people, happy people. There were canopies and hammocks scattered everywhere, a giant fire pit sitting in front of it all in the sand. I caught glimpse of a giant rock, the names of people who have died carved into it.

I tried taking a step forward but my weak legs trembled beneath me. I latched on to Minho's shoulder and he wrapped his arm around my torso. I looked over to him, about to tell him that I could walk on my own, but he cut me off.

"You just woke up, give yourself some time." He told me.

"But..."

"No one is going to think less of you if you can't walk on your own after everything that's happened."

"I can walk Minho." I told him and he shrugged.

"If you oh so insist my love." He said dramatically as he let go of me and I felt my heavy body slam into the ground. I looked up and into Minho's eyes as he stared down at me, the slyest grin on his face. "Need some help?"

"Shut up." I said as I grabbed his hand and he helped me back to my feet, wrapping his arm around my torso as we continued to the giant rock ahead of us. As we passed it, I saw Teresa's name written big and I smiled, a tear running down my cheek and I hoped that she was okay.

People were playing in the sand, others were helping to build houses out of the wood from the forest behind us, and some working in the gardens. Specifically, I saw Newt tending to it with the help of Aris, and even further out I saw Thomas with Gally helping to build. Brenda was with Harriet and Sonya, helping to put up some more tents for everyone. This was a beautiful thing, to see how much a week can change from the world we were living in to now. It truly was a beautiful thing.

"(Y/n)?!" I heard someone call and I looked over to see Frypan with a tray of food that he quickly passed over to a boy that I remembered as one of the Immunes. Minho then leaned closer to me, giving me a quick kiss on the cheek.

"I'm going to warn you, a lot of people missed ya." He said and I laughed as I took only one step forward before the boy engulfed me in a huge hug. I gave him a pat before he eventually let me go, immediately when he went to move out of my way, I saw Newt, Thomas, Gally, Aris, Brenda, Harriet, and Sonya all headed in my direction.

"I'm alive!" I told them and the first people to hug me were Newt and Thomas, holding me tightly in their arms while all the others came around and joined. All except Gally, who stood back with his hands dug in his pockets.

"You gave us a bloody heart attack." Newt told me and I rested my head on his shoulder as the hug only came to me, him, and Thomas. I then looked up to the two of them, giving them warm smiles.

"Sorry 'bout that." I said and they smiled again, tightening their grip before they finally let go. I then met eyes with Gally, who was still just standing there, not showing any signs of giving me a hug or anything.

"You look better." He said, and the tone of his voice made it say a thousand other words. I smiled, giving him a nod.

"Thanks." I said in return and we both smiled to one another.

"(Y/n)?" I heard a soft but rough voice come from behind me, and I turned to look at my father standing there, dropping the pile of wood he held in his hands on the sandy ground. He looked shocked to say the least, becoming speechless as he looked back at me. The last time I saw my father that I truly remembered was when he held a gun to my head and I was begging for him to shoot.

I snapped out of my daze, running over to him with as much strength as I could muster and jumped into his arms. He held me tightly, spinning me around in the air as I cried into his masculine shoulder. I clutched to him tightly, as if letting him go would mean falling into a world of darkness. I felt his big hand wrap around the back of my head as I sobbed, letting everything inside of me that had built up go.

Then, I looked over and saw Brenda with tears in her eyes, so I pulled her in as well. She was family, didn't matter whether it was by blood. Everyone standing here was family, they were all important to us, people we could rely on.

This was home.