Words to Describe a Room

Start from the beginning

Adjective - a palatial building is very large with impressive decorations.

PERPENDICULAR

Adjective - built in the style of 14th to 16th century English churches, using tall narrow designs and straight upright lines.

PREFAB

Adjective - informal - prefabricated.

PREFABRICATED

Adjective - a prefabricated building is built in sections that can be moved and put together quickly.

RABBIT WARREN

Noun - informal - a part of a building or town where it is easy to get lost because there are a lot of narrow passages or streets.

RAMBLING

Adjective - a rambling house has a lot of different parts and covers a large area.

REDBRICK

Adjective - made of red-coloured bricks.

ROMANESQUE

Adjective - belonging to a style of building that was common in Western Europe from about 900 to 1200 ad. Romanesque buildings have round arches, curved ceilings, thick walls, and large pillars.

ROOFTOP

Noun - used about something that is built on a roof.

RUINED

Adjective - a ruined building is old and has many parts that have been destroyed over time.

SECURE

Adjective - a secure area or building is guarded so that only specific people can enter or leave it.

SELF-CONTAINED

Adjective - a self-contained flat has its own bathroom and kitchen, so that you do not need to share any rooms with people who live in other flats.

SEMI-DETACHED

Adjective - a semi-detached house is joined to another house by one wall that they share.

SERVICE

Adjective - used by the staff of a building or organization, and not by customers or the public.

SHUTTERED

Adjective - decorated or closed with shutters.

SNUG

Adjective - used about a room or a building that is small, warm, and comfortable.

SPACIOUS

Adjective - a spacious room, building etc. has a lot of space inside it.

SPLIT-LEVEL

Adjective - used for describing a room or house that has parts on different levels beside each other, not above each other.

SPRAWL

Verb - used about buildings that fill an area in an ugly way that has not been carefully planned.

SPRAWLING

Adjective - built over a wide area in a way that is ugly or not carefully planned.

STARK

Adjective - used for describing a building or scene that is very clear and plain to look at, often in a slightly unpleasant or frightening way.

TIMBERED

Adjective - a timbered building has outside walls made completely or partly of wood.

TUMBLEDOWN

Adjective - a tumbledown building is old and in bad condition.

UNFURNISHED

Adjective - without any furniture.

UNOCCUPIED

Adjective - an unoccupied room, building, or seat is not being used by anyone.

VAULTED

Adjective - with curved structures supporting or forming the roof of a building.

WARM

Adjective - warm clothes and buildings keep heat in and prevent you from feeling cold. Can also refer to the color scheme of the room, warm colours being red, yellow, green hues.

WELL-APPOINTED

Adjective - a well-appointed room or house has attractive or expensive decoration and furniture.

LEAN-TO - adjective - a building sharing one wall with a larger building, and having a roof that leans against that wall or a temporary shelter, either supported or free-standing.

SPACIOUS/LY - adjective/adverb - having ample space.

STUCCOED - adjective - coated or decorated with stucco.

NOT ENOUGH ROOM TO SWING A CAT - an expression used for saying that a room is very small and there is not enough space to live comfortably in it.